Peoria Powers Past Griffins, 4-3December 26, 2006 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Grand Rapids Griffins Press Release
Peoria (16-10-1-2), whose six goals during the home-and-home set with Grand Rapids all came on the power play, scored its third and fourth markers in disputed fashion, handing the Griffins (13-15-3-2) their fifth setback in the last six games. Grand Rapids will visit Milwaukee on Friday before ringing out 2006 with home games on Saturday and New Year's Eve.
The Griffins struck during a 5-on-3 early in the second period for a 1-0 lead. Jonathan Ericsson found Kip Miller at the bottom of the right circle, and the AHL All-Star quickly beat Marek Schwarz inside the far post at 3:33 for the 400th goal of his 17-year career. Peoria answered during a Griffins penalty for too many men at 8:43, as Mike Glumac snapped a shot from the left faceoff dot that found its way into the top of the net through a sea of players in front of Stefan Liv.
During a Rivermen 5-on-3 late in the period - just after Liv had robbed Charles Linglet with a beautiful pad save - Peter Sejna gave the visitors their first lead of the night, centering a pass that deflected off Dan Smith and into the net at the 16:01 mark. Trent Whitfield scored during another two-man advantage 3:45 into the final frame for a 3-1 cushion, literally crashing into Liv to force the puck loose and across the line.
Miller's second goal of the night, courtesy of yet another 5-on-3, pulled the Griffins to within one goal at 10:12. From the right point, Ericsson sent a cross-ice pass down low to Josh Langfeld, who zipped a feed through the crease for an easy Miller tap-in from the right side.
The Griffins' comeback chances were dimmed due to a non-call with just under four minutes remaining. Roman Polak mugged Matt Hussey at the Grand Rapids blue line, walked in with the pilfered puck and beat Liv from the hashmarks at 16:11 for the Rivermen's fourth power play goal. Hussey gained a measure of revenge by notching the game's seventh power play goal with 1:06 remaining to make it a 4-3 game, but the Griffins could not net the equalizer despite a flurry around the Peoria net in the final seconds.
Each team finished with nine power play chances. Liv stopped 23 shots in a strong effort, while Schwarz turned aside 19.
After the game, Langfeld was recalled by the Detroit Red Wings for the second time this season.
American Hockey League Stories from December 26, 2006
- Rampage rally falls short - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars win third straight - Iowa Chops
- Houston survives late goal - Houston Aeros
- Senators cruise past Crunch, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Peoria Powers Past Griffins, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Recall Lee, Bahensky and Constant from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms upend Penguins - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hershey Beats Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rivermen Power Through Grand Rapids 4-3 on the Road - Peoria Rivermen
- Bears back in first place after downing Bridgeport, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- 'Dogs hold on to down Amerks - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pair called up to New York - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms week in review - Adirondack Phantoms
- Portland Pirates Weekly Report - Portland Pirates
- Rampage sign Ferraro, Paddock to PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Keep Pace Near Top of Tight East Division Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers send Roy back to Bulldogs and recall Hejda - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rochester hosts Hamilton tonight - Rochester Americans
- Bears' Laing named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Lowell Splits the Week - Albany Devils
- Rampage Week 12 Report - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers News - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Binghamton Senators weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Bears begin five games in six nights Tuesday - Hershey Bears
- Ellis Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Recall Regehr, Moss From Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Worcester signs Prudden to Professional Tryout Agreement - Worcester Sharks
- Flames Send Ference, Germyn to Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Aeros Gameday - Houston Aeros
- Sharks Look to Ring in New Year with "Bang" - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.