Garcia receives monthly awardMay 18, 2006 - Midwest League (MWL) - Quad Cities River Bandits Press Release
"It's a great honor because I've been working so hard this season," Garcia said upon hearing the news. "But I don't want to act like it's all I want. It's just one month. I'll be even happier when it's Pitcher of the Year."
Making his professional debut this season, Garcia went 2-1 with a 2.52 ERA over his first four starts. The 19-year-old lefthander from Reynosa, Mexico, added 26 strikeouts while walking seven and holding opposing hitters to a .185 batting average during the month of April. Through seven starts on the season Garcia is 2-2 with a 2.36 ERA and has struck out six or more batters in each of his starts, currently ranking fifth in the league with 46 punchouts.
The Player of the Month award went to Terry Evans, an outfielder for the Palm Beach Cardinals of the High-A Florida State League. Evans hit .347 in April with seven home runs and 21 driven in to go along with 23 runs scored and nine stolen bases in 23 games.
UP NEXT: The Swing of the Quad Cities will be in Cedar Rapids for game three of the four-game series on Thursday night. LHP Adam Daniels (1-3, 5.57) is scheduled to take the hill in his return from the Disabled List against Kernels' 18-year-old RHP Tommy Mendoza (1-4, 4.56). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m., with coverage on Progressive Talk AM-1270 beginning at 6:15 p.m.
NEXT HOMESTAND: After a 12-game trip around the Midwest League, the Swing will return to John O'Donnell Stadium on May 20 for an eight-game homestand. Quad Cities will welcome two in-state rivals to town, as the Clinton LumberKings come in on May 20 and the Cedar Rapids Kernels visit starting May 25.
UPCOMING PROMOTIONS: Saturday, May 20 will be John Deere' Employee's Night with fireworks brought to you by i-wireless, KWQC, and Q106.5. Sunday, May 21, will be a Mix 96 Family Fun Day, followed by a Q106.5 $1 Monday on May 22. If you have been waiting for Wild West Night, that is coming up on May 25 in conjunction with a 97 Rock/Pluckers Thirsty Thursday. Baseball America magazines will be distributed on May 26, and your favorite characters from the Rugrats will be at John O'Donnell Stadium the same day thanks to Mediacom and Star 93.5. The busy homestand will conclude with a baseball cap (Mountain Dew, 97 Rock, Fox-18) giveaway on May 27 and another Mix 96 Family Fun Day on May 28 - also Scott County YMCA's day at the ballpark with post-game fireworks sponsored in part by KWQC/KUUL/WOC.
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2006
- Bees Take Down Lugnuts in Extras - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Beat Lansing in 12 for Fifth Straight Win - Burlington Bees
- Devil Rays Lose a Rain Soaked Game - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- LumberKings Lose Tough Game in Extras - Clinton LumberKings
- Great Starting Pitching Gives Dragons Double Header Sweep - Dayton Dragons
- Swing slug Kernels at Veterans Memorial Stadium - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Home Runs Fuel Cougars Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Quirky game leaves Whitecaps at a loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Rattler lead disappears - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Rally to Tie in Ninth, Then Walk Off in 11th - Peoria Chiefs
- Swing capture second straight - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Maybin, Sborz placed on the DL - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Top Pick Headed to West Michigan - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Garcia receives monthly award - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Mercado promoted - South Bend Silver Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.