Mississippi Sea Wolves Announce Affiliations With New York Islanders and Bridgeport Sound TigersAugust 25, 2005 - ECHL (ECHL) - Mississippi Sea Wolves
"This is significant partnership for Mississippi Sea Wolves hockey," said Sea Wolves head coach and director of hockey operations Steffon Walby. "With the Islanders winning tradition and the Sound Tigers commitment to winning, we are thrilled that our affiliations have come together. Being given the opportunity to develop exciting prospects of the Islanders at the ECHL level is an honor for our organization and will be a privilege for our fans. We are looking forward to a great working relationship and an exciting season."
"We're delighted to form a partnership with the Sea Wolves," said Islanders general manager Mike Milbury. "In Coach Walby, Mississippi is led by a man who knows how to teach and develop players. This is an affiliation that will benefit all three teams involved, the Islanders, our AHL affiliate in Bridgeport and our new partners with the Sea Wolves."
"I've heard a lot of great things about the Sea Wolves over the years," said Islanders head coach Steve Stirling, who spoke at the news conference. "We wanted to affiliate with an ECHL that was a good place, the right program, a good community and some proximity. It's actually pretty easy to get players from Biloxi to New York. Throughout the year, we will have representatives coming to Mississippi to see the prospects in our organization. We think it's great that we are able to partner with the Sea Wolves."
Islanders equipment manager Scott Moon, who served as Mississippi's equipment manager during the 2001-02 season, became the first non-player in Sea Wolves team history to advance to the NHL prior to the 2002-03 campaign.
The Islanders staff also includes director of pro scouting Ken Morrow, who was a member of the United States 1980 "Miracle on Ice" Olympic gold medal winning team.
The puck drops on Mississippi's 10th Anniversary season on Friday, October 22 at Pensacola.
The home opener for the Sea Wolves gets underway at 7:35 p.m. on Friday, October 28 against Texas at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum.
Reserve your piece of the exciting, hard-hitting Sea Wolves hockey action by purchasing 2005-06 season tickets starting at $306 per seat for an adult, which is just $8.50 per game and $240 for a child, an average of $6.67 per game.
Flex packs and group discounts are available by telephone at (228) 275-WOLF. Individual game ticket prices will be released in October.
For the latest ticket and team information on the Sea Wolves 10th Anniversary season visit online at msseawolves.com.
ECHL Stories from August 25, 2005
- Wranglers sign UMD star Evan Schwabe - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Checkers hire athletic trainer and equipment manager - Charlotte Checkers
- Salmon Kings sign Gare - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Gladiators to visit Civic and Business Groups - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Mississippi Sea Wolves Announce Affiliations With New York Islanders and Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Checkers hire Athletic Trainer and Equipment Manager - Charlotte Checkers
- Islanders name Capuano Assistant Coach - ECHL
- Roadrunners net Kostichka - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Condors bring back St. Jacques, sign McHugh - Bakersfield Condors
- Grizzlies coaches visit Davis County - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades announce schedule change - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.