Zack Williams Re-Signs with Stampeders
The Calgary Stampeders have signed national offensive lineman Zack Williams. The Winnipeg product had been eligible to become a free agent next month.
Born: Mar. 2, 1997
Birthplace: Winnipeg, MB
Williams played all 14 regular-season games for the Stampeders in 2021 including 13 starts at left guard. He also started the Western Semi-Final. Williams was part of a unit that allowed the second-fewest sacks in the league and blocked for tailback Ka'Deem Carey, who led all running backs with seven rushing touchdowns and was second in the league in both rushing yards and yards from scrimmage.
Williams is the fifth veteran offensive lineman to sign a deal with the Stampeders this off-season, joining a group that includes holdovers Julian Good-Jones, Sean McEwen and Ryan Sceviour as well as the returning Derek Dennis, who had two previous stints in Calgary.
"We feel the offensive line will again be a strength for us in 2022 and after establishing himself as a starter last season, Zack should be a big part of that unit," said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. "I was very pleased with Zack's progress in 2021 and look forward to seeing him continue to develop and further raise his game."
"I'm thankful to the Stampeders organization for this opportunity and I'm looking forward to the season," said Williams. "I believe we have the players and coaches in place to be a serious contender for the Grey Cup."
Williams was the Stamps' third-round selection in the 2019 draft and he appeared in two games as reserve during his rookie season. He was a Canada West all-star at the University of Manitoba in 2018.
Images from this story
Calgary Stampeders offensive lineman Zack Williams
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 24, 2022
- Tiger-Cats Re-Sign Americans Morton, Bingham and Butler - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Alouettes Release Jamal Davis II to Pursue NFL Opportunities - Montreal Alouettes
- Michael Reilly Announces Retirement After 11 CFL Seasons - B.C. Lions
- Argonauts Extend DB Boateng & Sign WR Coxie - Toronto Argonauts
- Elks Extend Wilder - Edmonton Elks
- Nick Usher Remains an Alouette - Montreal Alouettes
- Roughriders Add Wide Receiver, Defensive Back - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Zack Williams Re-Signs with Stampeders - Calgary Stampeders
- Blue Bombers Re-Sign Long-Snapper Mike Benson - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.