Yankees Win Close Contest to Take Series Opener vs Braves
Pulaski, Va. - A bases-loaded hit by pitch proved to be the difference in a pitchers' duel between the Danville Braves and Pulaski Yankees at Calfee Park Sunday night, as the Yankees opened a six-game homestand with a 2-1 victory in front of 3,592 fans, a new organizational single-game attendance record.
After four scoreless innings, the two teams traded solo home runs, with Danville's Ricardo Rodriquez striking first in the top of the fifth only to have Pulaski's Jordan Scott answer with a solo shot of his own in the bottom of the sixth.
The Yankees loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh via two walks and a hit batter before Miguel Torres earned his first RBI as a Pulaski Yankee by getting hit by a pitch to bring home Carlos Tatis from third and give the home team a 2-1 lead they would hold for the remainder of the contest.
Yankees' starter Alexander Vizcaino pitched six innings, allowing just three hits and one earned run while striking out nine and walking none en route to a no decision. Marcus Evey earned the win for Pulaski after 2.2 innings pitched with two hits allowed and five strikeouts.
The two teams face off in the middle game of the series Monday night during Calf-E's Fight Against Cancer presented by Gay and Neel. Gates open at 5:30 pm with first pitch at 7pm. Daniel Bies will take the mound for Pulaski against Danville's Dilmer Mejia.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Yankees Win Close Contest to Take Series Opener vs Braves - Pulaski Yankees
- K-Mets Knock off Jays 8-3 - Kingsport Mets
- Cardinals and Rays Doubleheader Postponed - Johnson City Cardinals
- Yankees' Late Comeback Attempt Falls Short - Pulaski Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pulaski Yankees Stories
- Pulaski Yankees to Hold Dine on the Diamond Benefit Dinner July 9
- Braves, Yankees Team up for Star Wars Nights to Raise Funds for Cancer Research
- WRAD Talk Radio to Broadcast All Pulaski Yankees Games During 2019 Season
- Pulaski Yankees Introduce Calfee Cares Community Relations Plan
- Pulaski Yankees Announce Partnership with Relay for Life, American Cancer Society for 2019