Xplorers to feature Memphis Union Mission at July 9th game
There is a place in the heart of downtown Memphis where those who have ceased to hope find that hope still lives; a place where those who have been estranged from normal lives and a decent living can be restored, and where they are shown how to connect to a God of love and power. Welcome to Memphis Union Mission.
The Memphis Xplorers will spotlight the mission on Saturday, July 9 during the team's 7 p.m. game against the Tulsa Talons at the DeSoto Civic Center. The organization will have a booth on the concourse and will participate in the pre-game coin toss.
Memphis Union Mission has several campuses. The one at 383 Poplar Ave. includes a men's shelter, where lunch is served to transients every day and worship services are held afterward; a year-long drug and alcohol program; a half-way house for men who graduate from the program, where they can rent an apartment for a small amount of money and must save 60 percent of their paychecks until they leave; and a women and children's shelter in an undisclosed location.
"Everything we do is to help guys get off the street and back into society," said Memphis Union Mission Director of Development Steve Carpenter. "You'll see references to Jesus and the Bible throughout the building, because getting off drugs and alcohol is something you cannot do alone.
"We help them figure out the lie they bought into that makes them do those things. Maybe it's You're no-count.' Or No one cares about you.' If they don't fix why they get high, why they get drunk, then when they get out of here, they are going to be right back where they were. We want them to know, number one, God loves you, and number two, we love you. We want them to know we care about them."
The Xplorers are 10-2 on the season and in first place in the Mid-West Division of the National Conference. Single game tickets start as low as $7 and can be purchased by calling 662-342-1755, visiting the DeSoto Civic Center box office, or by logging onto www.TicketMaster.com today.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 6, 2005
- Conquest still fighting for berth - Albany Firebirds
- Riptide game preview - San Diego Riptide
- Riptide assigned Quarterback - San Diego Riptide
- Xplorers to feature Memphis Union Mission at July 9th game - Memphis Xplorers
- Xplorers visit Germantown Library - Memphis Xplorers
- Jackson Finalist for U.S. Army Ironman of the Year - Macon Knights
- Rawls to get his chance - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- South Georgia Wildcats game notes - South Georgia Wildcats
- Macon Knights game notes - Macon Knights
- Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings game notes - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Blizzard play this Saturday on the road - Green Bay Blizzard
- Wolves dance team to hold dance camp - Manchester Wolves
- af2 notebook - af2
- Steamwheelers and the John Deere Classic Offer Ticket Rebate to Support Gilda's Club - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Conquest Rock N' Bowl this Saturday - Albany Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.