Wings Acquire 2021 Number One Overall Pick
The Dallas Wings announced today the team acquired the number one overall pick in the 2021 WNBA Draft from Seattle via New York for forward Katie Lou Samuelson and Dallas's second-round pick in 2022.
"The decision to trade a young and talented player in Katie Lou Samuelson was a difficult one," Wings President & CEO Greg Bibb stated. "Katie Lou is the consummate professional and her best professional basketball is in front of her. That said, the opportunity to acquire the top pick in a draft does not present itself very often. By securing this pick, we will ensure our ability to draft the player at the top of our draft list while having additional draft assets at our disposal to further improve our team."
The Wings become the first team in WNBA history to hold the first and second overall picks in the same draft. In addition, Dallas also holds the fifth, seventh, and thirteenth selections in 2021. Samuelson played one year for Dallas after being acquired in a trade with Chicago last offseason.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from February 10, 2021
- Wings Acquire 2021 Number One Overall Pick - Dallas Wings
- Storm Acquires Katie Lou Samuelson, Mikiah "Kiki" Herbert Harrigan; Rights to Stephanie Talbot and Two 2022 Draft PicksÃÂ - Seattle Storm
- Minnesota Lynx Acquire 2022 First-Round Draft Pick in Exchange for Forward Mikiah Herbert Harrigan - Minnesota Lynx
- Mercury Acquires All-Star Wing Kia Nurse and Wing Megan Walker - Phoenix Mercury
- New York Liberty Acquire Natasha Howard and Sami Whitcomb - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.