Wingnuts Complete Doubleheader Sweep
WICHITA, Kan. - The Wichita Wingnuts swept the Cleburne Railroaders 2-0 and 8-4 in a doubleheader on Wednesday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Wingnuts starter Casey Harman (2-0) was brilliant in the opener, tossing six shutout frames with six strikeouts while only allowing four hits. The Wingnuts took the lead in the fourth on an RBI double from Zach Nehrir, plating Tony Thomas who had singled one batter before. Nehrir then provided insurance in the bottom half, doubling home Logan Trowbridge to provide the game's final margin.
Cleburne starter Patrick Mincey (0-1) took a tough-luck loss in a complete game effort, allowing just four hits and two runs while striking out four.
Wingnuts closer Daniel Tillman slammed the door with a scoreless top of the seventh, retiring the Railroaders in order to record his third save.
Cleburne jumped on Wichita starter Jordan Cooper (2-0) for a pair of unearned runs in the bottom of the first, capitalizing on a Cooper error and a Rafael Palmeiro RBI single for a 2-0 lead. Palmeiro exited the game after his hit with an apparent leg injury.
The Railroaders (5-7) stretched the lead to 3-0 in the third on Patrick Palmeiro's run-scoring single, but Wichita (8-4) responded immediately with two runs of their own in the home half of the frame. Ryne Willard drove home Logan Watkins, who had tripled, and then Thomas cranked a long solo homer to trim the deficit to 3-2. The Wingnuts then exploded for six runs in the bottom of the sixth, as Willard, Abel Nieves, Logan Trowbridge and Leo Vargas notched RBI singles to give Wichita an 8-3 lead.
Cleburne got a run back in the seventh against Cooper, but Logan Watkins gunned down KC Huth trying to stretch a single into a double to end the game. It was the first complete game of the season for a Wingnuts pitcher, as Cooper allowed only one earned run to lower his season ERA to 1.35.
The Wingnuts wrap up their series with the Railroaders Thursday night at 7:05 PM. Jared Wilson (0-0, 0.00) will get the start for Wichita, while the Railroaders will counter with righty Roman Gomez (0-1, 4.00). The game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 30, 2018
- Another Big T-Bones Rally Downs X's - Sioux City Explorers
- More Late Game Heroics, Saints Win Second Consecutive Extra Inning Game, 7-4 in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Wingnuts Complete Doubleheader Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Rained out in Winnipeg, Doubleheader Tomorrow - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes and Saltdogs Postponed, Double Header Thursday - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Trade RHP Weaver to Florence Freedom - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RailCats and Dogs Washed Out; Doubleheader Set for Thursday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Make Roster Move Wednesday - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Bang 15 Hits in 5-3 Win over RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Five Run Top of the Ninth Caps Comeback - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Drop 11-Inning Heartbreaker to Saints - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Collect Ten Hits, But Fall Short in Gary - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.