Wichita Rally Falls Short in Loss
WICHITA, Kans. - The Kansas City T-Bones jumped out to a 5-0 lead and held off a late rally to defeat the Wichita Wingnuts 7-5 on Wednesday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
A wild pitch and a Kevin Keyes two-run homer gave the T-Bones (13-12) an early 3-0 lead in the first. Marcus Lemon and Keyes then contributed RBI knocks against Wingnuts starter Alex Boshers (3-2) in the second, and Wichita faced a 5-0 hole after an inning and a half.
Brennen Salgado got Wichita (17-9) on the board in the bottom of the second, grounding a run-scoring single off Scott Carroll (3-1), and Zac Fisher later added a two-out RBI single of his own to trim the deficit to 5-2.
Fisher continued to swing a hot bat in the fifth, hammering a solo homer to centerfield to make it 5-3 T-Bones. But Kansas City's Jordan Edgerton connected on a two-run blast in the sixth to restore the T-Bones advantage to 7-3.
The Wingnuts did not go quietly, however, as Matt Chavez cranked a massive two-run homer over the batter's eye in the eighth to pull Wichita back to within 7-5. But Cody Winiarski worked around a leadoff double from Martin Medina to post a scoreless ninth and secure his third save.
The Wingnuts and T-Bones will conclude their series tomorrow night at 7:05, as Ryan Kussmaul (2-2, 4.10) will get the start for Wichita against Kansas City right-hander Calvin Drummond (1-2, 5.32). All the action will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM, and at americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 14, 2017
- Walters Sold to Royals - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wichita Rally Falls Short in Loss - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Can'T Match the Wingnuts Bats - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Double up Explorers in 10-5 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Win Rain-Shortened Game over RedHawks - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Offensive Onslaught Buries T-Bones - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Drop Second Straight to Canaries - Gary SouthShore Railcats