RailCats Drop Second Straight to Canaries
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats fell to the Sioux Falls Canaries, 5-2, in five innings on Tuesday night in a rain shortened contest. The game was called in the top of the sixth due to rain, however, play reverts to the last full inning, resulting in Gary suffering their third consecutive loss.
Gary (13-13) scored first for the third straight game with a pair of runs in the top of the second. John Holland extended his hitting streak to five with an RBI single to left before Randy Santiesteban made it 2-0 with a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Wilfredo Gimenez from third.
Sioux Falls (9-15) cut the Gary lead in half with a run in the bottom of the second. With runners on the corners, Dan Motl brought home Chris Jacobs with an RBI single off of shortstop Ryan Fitzgerald into left-center.
The Canaries tied the game with another run in the third. Jabari Henry started the inning with a single to left before Burt Reynolds drew a walk. Aaron Gretz then reached on a fielder's choice, giving Sioux Falls runners on the corners. Jacobs followed Gretz with a sacrifice fly, scoring Henry.
Sioux Falls took the lead with three runs in the bottom of the fifth for the second straight night. Henry gave the Canaries their first lead with an RBI single to left before Gretz made it 4-2 with an RBI double down the right field line. Patrick Fiala brought home the final run of the game with a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Reynolds.
Alex Gunn (1-3) was charged with his third consecutive loss. The southpaw went the distance, allowing five runs on nine hits and two walks in five innings. Alex Crosby extended his season-high on-base streak to 13 with a walk to begin the second while Fitzgerald extended his on-base streak to nine with a pair of hits on the night.
Troy Marks (1-4) recorded his first win in his fifth start of the year. Marks also tossed a complete game, allowing two runs on eight hits and a walk.
The RailCats resume their four-game road series against the Canaries on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. Southpaw Carlos Diaz (0-0, 4.50) counters against Sioux Falls right-hander Miles Nordgren (1-1, 4.71).
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Monday, June 19 for the start of a three-game series vs. Sioux City. First pitch against the Explorers is at 7:10 p.m. Monday's game is another MetroPCS Monday. Visit your nearest Northwest Indiana MetroPCS location for a reserved seat ticket voucher to Monday's game.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 14, 2017
- Walters Sold to Royals - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wichita Rally Falls Short in Loss - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Can'T Match the Wingnuts Bats - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Double up Explorers in 10-5 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Win Rain-Shortened Game over RedHawks - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Offensive Onslaught Buries T-Bones - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Drop Second Straight to Canaries - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- American Association Designated as Partner League of MLB
- RailCats Announce the Greens at the Steel Yard Event
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, Schaumburg Boomers to Add Black Lives Matters Patches to Team Jerseys
- RailCats Announce New Special Events and Facility Rental Opportunities
- RailCats 2020 Season Suspended Due to COVID-19 Pandemic