Whitecaps FC Sign 2017 MLS SuperDraft Pick Jake Nerwinski
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Thursday that the club has signed defender Jake Nerwinski to an MLS contract for 2017, with options for 2018, 2019, and 2020.
The right back from the University of Connecticut was the seventh overall selection in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft last month. Nerwinski will be added to the team's roster pending receipt of his Canadian work permit.
Whitecaps FC right back Jake Nerwinski
Recorded five goals and 17 assists in 81 appearances at the University of Connecticut Three-time selection to All-American Athletic Conference Team Co-captained at Connecticut as junior and senior
"Good kid, excellent mentality," said manager Carl Robinson. "Jake has come in and done very well. He understands the game, very fit, and will provide competition for Sheanon (Williams) at the right back position."
Nerwinski, 22, started each of the three preseason matches in the team's recent trip to the United Kingdom, equaling the team-lead in minutes played with 230.
"I'm extremely happy to officially be a member of the Whitecaps FC family and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else," said Nerwinski. "I am thankful to the Wasserman Media Group and my agent, and I am especially grateful for the all support I received from my family. I am also thankful to coach Robinson and the entire club for giving me this opportunity. I can't wait to get started and give everything I have to this club and city."
A co-captain in his last two years at Connecticut, Nerwinski tallied five goals and 17 assists in his four seasons in Mansfield, starting 75 of his 81 appearances for the Huskies.
The six-foot, 175-pound right back was a three-time member of the All-American Athletic Conference Team, earning a first-team selection in 2016. The two-year captain also received NSCAA All-East Region accolades, being named to the Second Team as a junior, then to the First Team in his final year.
The Lawrenceville, New Jersey native was an All-District player in each of his four years at his hometown's Notre Dame High School. As a senior, the team captain was honoured with All-State, All-Area, and All-Colonial Valley Conference team selections, as well as his side's Most Valuable Player award.
Nerwinski played youth soccer with the New Jersey Soccer Association 04 Development Academy team.
At the international level, Nerwinski was invited to the United States men's national team U-23 college identification camp in July 2015.
Whitecaps FC resume preseason play when they face expansion side Minnesota United FC in the 2017 Timbers Preseason Tournament tonight, Thursday, February 9 at Providence Park. Watch the match live on whitecapsfc.com. Kickoff is at 5 p.m. PT.
The 2017 season kicks off with the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series against New York Red Bulls. The first leg is set for Wednesday, February 22, at Red Bull Arena, and the return leg will take place on Thursday, March 2, at BC Place. MLS regular season action starts on Sunday, March 5, when Whitecaps FC host Philadelphia Union at BC Place.
Position: Right back
Date of Birth: October 17, 1994 in Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Hometown: Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Citizenship: United States
Last Club: University of Connecticut Huskies (NCAA DI: 2013 to 2016)
How acquired: Selected seventh overall in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft by Whitecaps FC on January 13, signed to the club's MLS roster on February 9, 2017
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 9, 2017
- 'Caps, Loons Play to 1-1 Draw After Late Teibert Laser - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Top Philadelphia Union in Preseason - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Announce 2017 Promotional Schedule and Theme Nights - LA Galaxy
- Coy Craft Named to U.S. Under-20 National Team Roster for 2017 - FC Dallas
- Five Real Salt Lake Players Named to U.S.A. U-20 Roster for 2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship - Real Salt Lake
- Alfonzo McKinnie Selected to Compete in 2017 NBA D-League Dunk - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Sign 2017 MLS SuperDraft Pick Jake Nerwinski - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Q&A: Get to Know Jake Nerwinski - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Announce Kickoff Times for Matches Against Canadian Clubs - Chicago Fire
- Chung and Hasal Named to Canada's Final CONCACAF U-20 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Revolution Announce Schedule Updates and Date Change for 2017 - New England Revolution
- Tickets for All Regular Season Games on Sale this Saturday - Montreal Impact
- Philadelphia Union's Josh Yaro Undergoes Successful Shoulder Surgery - Philadelphia Union
- MLS, TSN and TVA Sports Announce Enhanced 2017 Regular Season National Broadcast Schedule for Canada - MLS
- Full Toronto FC 2017 Television Broadcast Schedule and Kick-Off Times - Toronto FC
- Single Match Tickets on Sale Today at 10:00 a.m. - Minnesota United FC
- David Paulmin Signs with the Ottawa Fury FC - Montreal Impact
- Minnesota United Welcomes Bashkim Kadrii from FC Copenhagen - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Honored with Sports Story of the Year Award - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot
- 'Caps vault above playoff line with second straight win