Whitecaps FC 2 Kick off Four-Match Road Trip at Oklahoma City Energy FC on Saturday
After a snowstorm postponed their first match up, Whitecaps FC 2 (8W-2L-4D) head to The Sooner State this weekend hoping to extend their winning streak to three matches against Oklahoma City Energy FC (5W-2L-4D).
Kickoff on Saturday afternoon is at 5 p.m. PT. Catch the game live on whitecapsfc2.com.
PUTTING THE PUZZLE TOGETHER
Coming back in time to start the four-match road trip with WFC2 is team captain Kyle Greig, who could reappear for the 'Caps in Oklahoma City. The 26-year-old Kansas native has been providing Vancouver with consistent goal-scoring up front, leading the side with 10 goals this season. He continues to be an ominous presence in the opposing team's box, and provides valuable USL experience to the young 'Caps side.
Should he see the pitch, the match will mark Greig's first return to OKC since his move to Vancouver. Last season, Greig was second in the Energy FC side in goals scored, with seven.
Stepping up in Greig's absence last week was Daniel Haber, whose late-game heroics versus Timbers 2 resulted in a bench selection to the USL Team of the Week. He's shown to be as dangerous complementing Greig on the wing, and is most lethal when the game is on the line, as proven by his two last-minute match-winners so far this season.
In the back, head coach Alan Koch can rely on centre backs Jackson Farmer, Sem de Wit, and Cole Seiler. Elliot Green, who saw his first extended minutes in the last match, gives WFC2 another option.
Though the starting lineups are bound to be full of top talent, both sides have the immense benefit of depth on the bench as well.
For Energy FC, the likes of midfielders Daniel Gonzalez and veteran Sebastian Dalgaard have been putting pressure on their opponents as soon as they set foot on the field. Both players have featured in the majority of Oklahoma City's matches this season, and have made their marks on the score sheets in limited minutes.
Gonzalez sits in a three-way tie for most goals scored for OKC, with two through the first four months of play. He also has an eye for the target, with three shots on net of his seven shots total. Last match, the Washington State native found the back of the net in the 73rd minute.
He's supported by Dalgaard on the wing, who leads the league in assists with four. Having been a regular starter early in the season, the Dane has been slowly tallying more minutes after finding himself coming off the bench towards the end of May.
Dalgaard spent three seasons in the Danish first division before making the move to Oklahoma City in 2015, bringing some high level European experience to Energy FC.
After this weekend, the 'Caps continue their road swing with a visit to Real Monarchs SLC on Saturday, July 2.
WFC2 are back at Thunderbird Stadium on Sunday, July 24 when WFC2 host Sacramento Republic FC for Game at the Game. Tickets are available here.
This year, every Tier 1 'Caps Club MLS membership includes three open tickets to WFC2 matches. Members can select their matches and theme days online through Account Manager. Information on theme days is available at whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/themedays.
For more information, contact email@example.com or call 604-484-7862.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 24, 2016
- Islanders Match Rescheduled for Saturday, June 25 at FNB - Penn FC
- Sounders FC 2 and CHI Franciscan Health Partner for Jersey Sponsorship - Tacoma Defiance
- T2 Travel to Face Saint Louis FC Saturday - Portland Timbers 2
- T2, River Pig Saloon Team up to Bring Craft Brew Nights to Merlo Field - Portland Timbers 2
- Two Unbeaten Streaks Clash When Arizona United Takes on Sacramento Republic - Phoenix Rising FC
- Whitecaps FC 2 Kick off Four-Match Road Trip at Oklahoma City Energy FC on Saturday - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Sunday Match Preview: Colorado Springs vs. Real Monarchs SLC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- OCB Visits FC Montreal for Second Meeting of Season - Orlando City B
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Arizona United SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Louisville City FC, FC Cincinnati Renew Rivalry Saturday - Louisville City FC
- RGV FC Toros Host Orange County Blues FC on Sunday Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Sacramento Republic FC Loan Midfielder Matt LaGrassa to Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Weekend Preview - Week 14 - USL
- Wilmington Heads to NY to Take on NY Red Bulls II - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Rhinos to Battle Pittsburgh - Rochester Rhinos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.