Whitecaps FC 2 Add 2016 MLS SuperDraft Pick Thomas Sanner to USL Roster
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Friday that striker Thomas Sanner has been added to the club's United Soccer League (USL) roster with Whitecaps FC 2 (WFC2). Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We're excited to welcome Thomas to the team," said WFC2 head coach Alan Koch. "He is a classic target striker who had a strong goalscoring record in university. We look forward to having him provide increased competition in our squad."
The 22-year-old joins the 'Caps after completing his degree in politics at Princeton University. Sanner was selected in the second round (36th overall) by Whitecaps FC in this year's MLS SuperDraft after playing four seasons with Princeton in the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) Ivy League.
Over the course of his collegiate career, the 6-foot-4, 195-pound striker started 50 of his 64 appearances with the Tigers, recording 32 goals and 15 assists. During his senior season in 2015, Sanner was unanimously named Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year after leading the league with 13 goals and tying for the lead with five assists. Overall, he was fourth in the NCAA in points per game.
The native of Indianapolis, Indiana received a number of other accolades in his university career, including First Team All-Ivy League in both 2015 and 2013, as well as NSCAA First Team All-East Region and First Team All-ECAC in 2015. During his freshman season in 2012, he was Ivy League Rookie of the Year.
Prior to college, Sanner attended North Central High School in Indianapolis and was named First Team All-State and All-Region in 2011.
At the youth club level, Sanner played for Indiana United Fire Academy.
Weight: 195 pounds
Date of Birth: May 20, 1994 in Indianapolis, Indiana
Hometown: Indianapolis, Indiana
Citizenship: United States
Last Club: Princeton University
How Acquired: Selected 36th overall in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft by Whitecaps FC. Signed to Whitecaps FC 2 on Friday, June 17, 2016.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 17, 2016
- Roughnecks Rally from 2-Goal Deficit for Draw with Galaxy II - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Luck of the Draw, Wilmington Ties Bethlehem 1-1 - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Louisville City FC Start Time Moved to Avoid Copa Conflict - Louisville City FC
- Republic FC Select Street Soccer USA Sacramento as Glory Glory Sacramento Fund Grant Recipient - Sacramento Republic FC
- FCC to Sell Upper Deck Seating for Palace Game Tuesday - FC Cincinnati
- FC Montreal Faces the Riverhounds in Pittsburgh Saturday - FC Montreal
- San Antonio FC Forward Shawn Chin Sidelined with Fractured Leg - San Antonio FC
- Real Monarchs Continue Tour Saturday at Orange County Blues - Real Monarchs SLC
- Preview: Swope Park Rangers Welcome OKC Energy FC to Swope Soccer Village - Swope Park Rangers
- After First Home Win, Arizona United Hungry for More - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC Returns to Toyota Field to Host Colorado Springs - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Rio Grande Valley FC Toros - Sacramento Republic FC
- Whitecaps FC 2 Add 2016 MLS SuperDraft Pick Thomas Sanner to USL Roster - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Kickers Travel to Charlotte Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- RGV FC Toros Hit the Road Again to Face Sacramento Republic FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Riverhounds Sign Nick Thompson - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Weekend Preview - Week 13 - USL
- Louisville City FC, Rochester Put Streaks on the Line Saturday - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.