Wheeling Wildcats Sign Standout Defensive Lineman Phil Tillman
Wheeling, WV- The Wheeling Wildcats have announced the signing of Defensive Lineman Phil Tillman to a contract for the 2009 season. Tillman (6'3"-320) a product of The University of Pittsburgh comes to Wheeling from the Erie RiverRats of the AIFA where he was a league All-Star. "Phil Tillman is a dominating presence in the middle of our defense. He is a disruptive force physically and is a tremendous technician. Phil Tillman will create havoc in our opponents' backfield all season long," commented Wheeling Wildcats Head Coach Shawn Liotta. During the 2008 AIFA Season, Tillman was a disruptive force finishing with 14.5 tackles, 7 tackles for a loss, 7.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries. In just nine regular-season games during the 2007 AIFA Season, Tillman recorded 5 sacks despite the frequent double-teams, and led Pittsburgh with 6.5 tackles for losses. He was rewarded for his effort with his selection by the league's coaches to the AIFA North All-Star squad.
Tillman played at the University of Pittsburgh from 2004-2005 after transferring from the Valley Forge Military Academy where he was a rare two-way starter, on both the offensive and defensive lines. In 2005 as a starter at defensive tackle, Tillman contributed 41 total tackles, 5 tackles for a loss, and 2 sacks, including one in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl against Utah. During his two years at Valley Forge, Tillman compiled 72 tackles, 5.5 sacks, and two fumble recoveries. In 2003, he was the Seaboard Conference Co-Player of the Year and a first-team All-Seaboard Conference selection at both offensive and defensive tackle. Tillman was named first-team Baltimore Sun All-Metro during his senior year at Joppatowne High School (Edgewood, MD). The Wheeling Wildcats are a professional indoor football team located in Wheeling, WV, and will begin play in March of 2009 in the Continental Indoor Football League. For more information on the Wheeling Wildcats, including information on season tickets visit www.wheelingwildcatsfootball.com
• Discuss this story on the Continental Indoor Football League message board...
Continental Indoor Football League Stories from January 20, 2009
- Wheeling Wildcats Sign Standout Defensive Lineman Phil Tillman - Wheeling Wildcats
- Wolfpack Sign Record-Breaking Signal-Caller Tom Stetzer - Wisconsin Wolfpack
- Five New Players sign with the Marion Mayhem - Marion Mayhem
- Mayhem return players from 2008 - Marion Mayhem
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wheeling Wildcats Stories
- Wheeling Wildcats Add Two Former WVU Stars to Roster
- Wheeling Wildcats Sign NFL Veteran WR Eugene Baker
- Wheeling Wildcats Add Three Offensive Linemen for 2009 Season
- Wheeling Wildcats Sign Standout Defensive Lineman Phil Tillman
- Wheeling Wildcats To Hold Final Open Tryout for 2009