Western Hockey League Announces Cancellation of 2020 WHL Playoffs
March 23, 2020 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Calgary, Alta. - Western Hockey League Commissioner Ron Robison announced today the cancellation of the 2020 WHL Playoffs.
Following a meeting with the WHL Board of Governors and consultation with medical professionals, it was determined that the best course of action was the 2020 WHL Playoffs not be contested due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Nothing is more important to the WHL than the health and safety of our players, officials, staff, and fans," commented WHL Commissioner Ron Robison. "Without any ability to predict as to when it will be safe and responsible to return to play, the WHL has made the difficult decision to cancel the WHL Playoffs and the balance of the 2019-20 season. All of us at the WHL will continue to do our part in battling this virus so that we may be in a position to enjoy more WHL hockey."
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2020
- Oil Kings Statement on Cancellation of 2020 Playoffs and Memorial Cup - Edmonton Oil Kings
- A Statement from the Vancouver Giants - Vancouver Giants
- Saskatoon Blades Respond to Cancellation of WHL Playoffs - Saskatoon Blades
- Western Hockey League Announces Cancellation of 2020 WHL Playoffs - WHL
- ICE Sign 2019 Eighth Round Draft Pick Owen Boucher - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.