West Virginia Black Bears will not play in 2020
Minor League Baseball today announced that the 2020 season for all of its clubs, including the West Virginia Black Bears, has been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The 2020 season, which was scheduled to begin for the Black Bears on June 18th versus the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, was slated to be the club's 6th season of professional baseball in West Virginia.
"Although it may not be surprising given how our world has changed over the last few months, the official news that we will not have baseball at the Monongalia County Ballpark this summer is heart-breaking," said Mike Buczkowski, President of Rich Baseball Operations. "Not being able to share with our great fans the excitement of Black Bears baseball on those beautiful West Virginia summer nights is going to leave an awful void in our entire organization."
The Black Bears organization is truly grateful for the patience of all of its fans and partners while the 2020 season was on pause. The entire Black Bears Baseball Family hopes that everyone in West Virginia stays safe and well as we all continue to navigate through these unprecedented times.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, the Black Bears offices at Monongalia County Ballpark, as well as the ticket office, and all the ballpark team store will remain closed for the time being.
Information for fans holding 2020 Season Ticket, Ticket Packages, Individual Tickets or Group Party Reservations
The Black Bears organization is committed to being as accommodating and flexible as possible, as we value the support of our great fans. All fans will be given the option to apply whatever payment they've made on 2020 tickets to the 2021 season or to receive a refund of their ticket price(s). PLEASE NOTE, all 2020 Black Bear Ticket buyers will receive direct communication from the Black Bears organization in the next few days with information on how to choose either option.
Fans with additional questions or concerns are encouraged to email the Black Bears at [email protected] or call at (304-293-7910).
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from June 30, 2020
- Lowell Spinners Statement Regarding 2020 Season - Lowell Spinners
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Postponed - Tri-City ValleyCats
- 2020 Season Announcement - Hudson Valley Renegades
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- MLB and MiLB 2020 Season Decision - Aberdeen IronBirds
- West Virginia Black Bears will not play in 2020 - West Virginia Black Bears
- Norwich Sea Unicorns and Minor League Baseball Statements Regarding 2020 Minor League Baseball Season - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- COVID-19 Claims 2020 Cutters Season - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Vermont Lake Monsters Season Shelved - Vermont Lake Monsters
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved - Hudson Valley Renegades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Virginia Black Bears Stories
- West Virginia Black Bears will not play in 2020
- Johnathan Johnston Becomes Fifth Manager in Black Bears History
- West Virginia Black Bears Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Black Bears 'Black Friday Week' Sale Incudes 30% Off Tickets, Merchandise
- West Virginia Black Bears Announce Contest to Name the Next Racing Pepperoni Roll Mascot