2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved
Niles, Ohio - Major League BaseballT (MLBT) has informed Minor League BaseballT (MiLBT) that it will not be providing its affiliated Minor League teams with players for the 2020 season. As a result, there will not be a Minor League Baseball season in 2020, including the Mahoning Valley Scrappers.
"These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we've had a summer without Minor League Baseball played," said Minor League Baseball President & CEO Pat O'Conner. "While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment."
Minor League Baseball, which began as the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues, was founded on Sept. 5, 1901.
Minor League Baseball President & CEO Pat O'Conner will be available to Minor League Baseball team beat writers and national baseball writers from news outlets to discuss today's announcement at 6 p.m. EDT. For a link to the digital press conference, email Jeff Lantz at JLantz@MiLB.com .
"While we are incredibly disappointed that we are unable to play the 2020 season, we can now focus on planning an exciting season of Scrappers baseball at Eastwood Field in 2021" said Jordan Taylor, Vice President of HWS Baseball and Scrappers General Manager.
The Mahoning Valley Scrappers will announce our exchange policy within the next week. It will be posted on our website and social media platforms. Stay tuned for more information on this online process. There will be no in person exchanges. A Scrappers representative will be in contact with all sponsors and ticket package holders with available options.
To stay up to date with the Scrappers or for more information, visit www.mvscrappers.com or contact the front office at 330-505-0000. The Mahoning Valley Scrappers are the Short Season Single A Affiliate of the Cleveland Indians and play all home games at Eastwood Field. Notable alumni include C.C. Sabathia, Victor Martinez, Francisco Lindor, Jason Kipnis and Jose Ramirez.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from June 30, 2020
- Lowell Spinners Statement Regarding 2020 Season - Lowell Spinners
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Postponed - Tri-City ValleyCats
- 2020 Season Announcement - Hudson Valley Renegades
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- MLB and MiLB 2020 Season Decision - Aberdeen IronBirds
- West Virginia Black Bears will not play in 2020 - West Virginia Black Bears
- Norwich Sea Unicorns and Minor League Baseball Statements Regarding 2020 Minor League Baseball Season - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- COVID-19 Claims 2020 Cutters Season - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Vermont Lake Monsters Season Shelved - Vermont Lake Monsters
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved - Hudson Valley Renegades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.