Wave Tops Force 6-5 On Fontana's OT Game-Winner
(Milwaukee, WI) Marcelo Fontana scored the game-winner 11:09 into overtime to give the Milwaukee Wave a 6-5 victory over the Cleveland Force in a Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) contest Saturday night (11/13) at U.S. Cellular Arena in Milwaukee, WI. The game-winning sequence developed when Chris Morman won the possession at midfield and played a pass to Nino Marcantonio. Marcantonio dribbled into the attacking zone before feeding Fonatana on the left side of the penalty area and the latters shot from 20 feet out beat Force goalkeeper Jim Larkin to end the match. Greg Howes and Fontana each scored two goals, while Howes added an assist. Wave keeper Nick Vorberg earned the win with 11 saves.
The Force got on the board first when Sipho Sibiya was able to slip the ball past Vorberg off the assist from Gary DePalma at 12:21 of the first quarter. The Wave evened up the scoring at 4:03 of the second period when Greg Howes connected for the score off the assist from Johnny Torres. Milwaukee went ahead 2-1 at 7:40 of the period on a goal by Giuliano Oliviero off a back heel feed from Greg Howes in the middle of the box. Cleveland subsequently evened the score (2-2) at 10:49 of the second stanza on a goal by Antonio Sutton from Fred DeGand.
The Wave put up the first score of the third quarter (3:39) when Marcelo Fontana collected his third goal in just two days off the assist from Todd Dusosky. Todd Dusosky increased the lead to two when Chris Morman found him alone on the left side and Dusosky was able to take the header and put it into the top of the far corner for the score.
Robbie Aristodemo cut the lead back to one (4-3) at 7:10 of the third period off another assist from DeGand. Howes added his second goal off the game off the outlet pass from Vorberg at 12:36 of the third.
The Force's Chris Handsor cut the Wave lead back to one when he scored an unassisted goal at 1:25 of the final period. Sipho Sibiya went to the box at 3:33 when he picked up his fourth foul of the half, but the Force was able to kill the penalty. Cleveland went on the power-play at 5:23 when Troy Dusosky was sent to the box for the same infraction and the Force was able to capitalize on the man advantage as Aristodemo converted his second goal of the game to tie the score at 5-5.
The Wave resumes action this Friday night (11/19) when it hosts the Monterrey (Mexico) Tigres in a 7:05 PM match at U.S. Cellular Arena. Call the Wave Office at 414-224-Wave (9283) for tickets or more information, or visit www.milwaukeewave.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League 2 message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League 2 Stories from November 13, 2004
- KiXX remain undefeated; Sockers drop third straight - San Diego Sockers
- Wave Tops Force 6-5 On Fontana's OT Game-Winner - Milwaukee Wave
- Chicago Storm Downs Baltimore 3-1 - Chicago Storm
- KiXX defeat San Diego, 4-2 to remain undefeated in 2004-05 - Philadelphia KiXX
- Force Falls To Milwaukee Wave In Overtime - Cleveland Force
- MISL Transaction Notice - MISL 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Milwaukee Wave announces cancellation of 2020-21 season
- Washington County FC Joins ROC Ventures SC Wave Family
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6
- Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader
- Back to Back Home Games for Milwaukee Wave this Weekend