Wave Loses More than Game in New York
It was a must win game for both the Milwaukee Wave and Rochester Lancers, Sunday afternoon at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, New York.
The Wave needed to win the rest of their regular season schedule in order to clinch the regular season championship from the Baltimore Blast.
The Lancers needed a victory to stay alive in the MISL Playoff hunt and that's just what they did by defeating the Wave 9-8.
It was a defensive first half with only 2 goals scored. The first from Milwaukee Wave Forward #14 Nick Perera; (Assist - #26 Ian Bennett). The second from Rochester Lancers Defender #8 Elliot Fauske; (Assist - #13 Stephan Basso).
Milwaukee Wave Forward and Rookie of The Year Candidate #7 Luan Oliviera started the scoring in the 3rd Quarter, only to have the Lancers answer back with a 3-Point Goal of their own from Forward #10 Mauricio Salles. Milwaukee closed out the quarter with a goal by #79 Hewerton and the team took a 6-5 lead into the final quarter.
Milwaukee extended their advantage to 8-5 when #26 Ian Bennett connected on a two point goal. The Lancers Fauske scored his second goal of the game to trim Rochester's deficit to 8-7. Later in the quarter Lancers forward Doug Miller was fouled inside the box by Milwaukee's Joe Hammes. On the restart, Miller blasted a shot into the net and gave Rochester their first lead of the game at 9-8. Milwaukee tried bringing in a sixth attacker, but couldn't manage any more scoring, and Rochester came away with the victory.
Milwaukee ends their five game road trip Wednesday February, 27th at 6 p.m. against the Syracuse Silver Knights. The team wraps up the regular season with back-to-back games at U.S. Cellular Arena on Saturday March 2nd, at 6 p.m. against the Syracuse Silver Knights, and Sunday March 3rd, at 3 p.m. against the Wichita Wings. Fans can purchase $19 premier level tickets for $7 for both games, and the March 10th 3 p.m. MISL playoff game. Other ticket deals are also available for purchase. For more information on tickets visit www.milwaukeewave.com or call 414.224.9283.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from February 24, 2013
- Comets Clinch Playoff Spot - Kansas City Comets
- Wings Fade to Comets in Final Series Match - Wichita Wings
- Wave Loses More than Game in New York - Milwaukee Wave
- Lancers Keep Playoff Hopes Alive In Stunning Win - Rochester Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Wave Fall Short in MASL Eastern Conference Final against Baltimore Blast
- Major Arena Soccer League Recognizes Four Milwaukee Wave Players with Post Season Awards
- Wave Ready for Eastern Conference Showdown with Rival Baltimore Blast Friday Night
- Wave Advance to Round Two of MASL Playoffs after Tough Victory against Cedar Rapids
- Wave Takes Game One of MASL Central Division Championship Series in Overtime