Washington Freedom Acquire Defender Anita Asante
Washington Freedom of Women's Professional Soccer announced today the acquisition of defender Anita Asante from the Chicago Red Stars, trading WPS playing rights to Nigerian defender Faith Ikidi. Goalkeeper Erin McLeod has been moved to the season ending injury list after tearing her ACL in her right knee on July 24, opening a spot on the roster.
Asante played in six matches, making three starts for the Red Stars this year. She became a free agent and signed with the Red Stars on June 9, 2010 after starting the season with Saint Louis Athletica. In 2009, she spent the WPS season with champion Sky Blue FC.
"Anita is a proven and internationally experienced defender," said Freedom Head Coach Jim Gabarra. "She is someone who can help us in our efforts to give up less goals against."
Asante has been a member of the England women's national team since 2004 and played every minute of her team's four games at the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup.
Washington selected Ikidi in the second round (10th overall) of the 2010 WPS Dispersal Draft following the dissolution of the Los Angeles Sol. Ikidi is currently under contract with Damallsvenskan organization Linkoping FC in Sweden. She has played for Nigeria's national team, participating in the 2004 and 2008 Olympics and the 2007 FIFA World Cup.
Washington Freedom elevated Meagan McCray to a full roster position and waived Alex Singer. Asante arrived in Maryland Wednesday and will be on the roster wearing number 15. She will be available to play in Freedom's next match when they travel to New Jersey to face Sky Blue FC on August 11.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from August 6, 2010
- AC St. Louis Draws Vancouver 0-0 - St. Louis Athletica
- Chicago Red Stars Battle 1st-Place Gold Pride on Saturday - Chicago Red Stars
- Chicago Red Stars Mutually Release Forward Kosovare Asllani - Chicago Red Stars
- Washington Freedom Acquire Defender Anita Asante - magicJack
- Chicago Red Stars Acquire Rights For Defender Faith Ikidi - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs