Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
Boyds, MD (September 29)...Washington Freedom today announced they have honored the request of Sonia Bompastor and granted her a mutual termination of her contract. Freedom's decision was made in light of the approaching 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup.
Bompastor, a French National Team member, will be returning to France in order to play with Olympique Lyonnais. This will allow her to avoid transatlantic travel between pre-World Cup training camps with her national team. Olympique Lyonnaise has made a verbal pre-agreement to release Bompastor so that she may return to Freedom at the conclusion of the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup. Sonia has expressed strong interest in returning to Freedom upon the completion of the World Cup, and Freedom is excited to welcome her back all pending the status of the roster and team standings at the time.
During the 2010 season, Bompastor scored twice and collected five assists in 21 starts, and was honored as the WPS Player of the Week for her goal and assist in Freedom's week four win over Saint Louis Athletica. In 2009 play, Bompastor accumulated four goals and six assists while earning Player of the Month honors in May.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from September 30, 2010
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs