Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
BOYDS, MD (September 16, 2010)...Washington Freedom will travel to face Philadelphia Independence in the first round of the 2010 WPS Playoffs presented by MedImmune this Sunday, September 19 at 2:30 p.m. at John A. Farrell Stadium in West Chester, PA. Freedom secured the fourth and final spot in the playoffs with a 1-0 win over the Atlanta Beat Saturday in a thrilling match in front of their home crowd, and meet a tough opponent in Philadelphia.
This season, Freedom went 2-2 against Philadelphia Independence, with both losses coming on the road. Still, with only one loss in their last seven games, and three wins in their past four matches, Freedom is confident about their WPS Playoff chances. Now that they have punched their ticket to Philadelphia, they know anything can happen.
"We went on a streak to end the season, and now we are just two wins from the championship match," said Abby Wambach, Washington Freedom Forward. "We're going into the playoffs with a positive mindset, coming off of a big win Saturday. We know we have the players to make a run in the playoffs."
Washington Freedom has a special package available for all fans which includes a game ticket and travel, a Freedom fan bus leaving from the Maryland SoccerPlex Sunday at 10:30 a.m. and returning that evening around 8:00 p.m., for only $50.
"Our fans have been incredible all season long," said Cat Whitehill, Washington Freedom Defender. "We hope they will make the trip and show their support for us this Sunday."
For more information about purchasing bus and game day tickets, or for general information on Washington Freedom, please visit www.WashingtonFreedom.com or call 866-761-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from September 16, 2010
- Atlanta Beat Internationals on the Move - Atlanta Beat
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs - magicJack
- Chicago Red Stars Defender Spilger Named 2010 Citi Sportswoman of the Year - Chicago Red Stars
- 2010 WPS Year-End Awards Announced - WPS
- Three FC Gold Pride Players Earn WPS Year-End Honors - FC Gold Pride
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs