AC St. Louis Draws Vancouver 0-0
ST. LOUIS, MO - AC St. Louis, playing in the USSF Division-2 Professional League, tied the Vancouver Whitecaps 0-0 Friday evening at The Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park in front of 2,312 fans. St. Louis upped their record to 5-10-6, and remained undefeated on their current five-game home stand with a record of 1-0-2.
The best chance of the night for AC St. Louis was whistled dead for offsides. Jeff Cosgriff's goal off a Chris Salvaggione shot that rebounded off Vancouver goalkeeper Jay Nolly was judged to have been offside's back in the midfield. The linesman's flag went up some 40 yards from goal as Salvaggione was played in on the left wing. St. Louis would have three other shots on goal, but none with the quality that Salvaggione's rebounding shot provided.
"Of the three games we have played against Vancouver this was our best performance," stated head coach Dale Schilly. "From a defending perspective we held them away from the goal more than we did in the other two matches. I thought our guys did well as a whole group, not just the back four, but the entire team. We were just missing that last pass, but overall it was a very good performance.
Alec Dufty made three saves, but was not tested seriously. Jay Nolly turned in three saves for Vancouver as well with both keepers having solid performances. Each team traded a few chances with most of the final ball going wanting.
"As a whole team we played real well defensively," said team captain Jack Traynor. "To come away with a point against the top team in the league is always good. We still think we could have come away with a win tonight."
AC St. Louis now is within three points of a playoff position with nine games remaining.
AC St. Louis' next home match is on Saturday night, August 14 at 7:10 p.m. against the Portland Timbers. Tickets are still available and can be obtained by calling 1-888-STL-GOAL, or by visiting www.ac-stlouis.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from August 6, 2010
- AC St. Louis Draws Vancouver 0-0 - St. Louis Athletica
- Chicago Red Stars Battle 1st-Place Gold Pride on Saturday - Chicago Red Stars
- Chicago Red Stars Mutually Release Forward Kosovare Asllani - Chicago Red Stars
- Washington Freedom Acquire Defender Anita Asante - magicJack
- Chicago Red Stars Acquire Rights For Defender Faith Ikidi - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Louis Athletica Stories
- AC St. Louis End Season With 2-1 Loss to Rochester
- AC St. Louis Fall 4-2 in Texas
- AC St. Louis Lose 3-0 to Minnesota
- AC St. Louis Beat Miami 3-1
- AC St. Louis Draw Tampa 2-2