Vipers knock off unbeaten Milwaukee 75-67 at VBC
HUNTSVILLE - The Alabama Vipers are looking good.
The Vipers knocked off previously unbeaten Milwaukee 75-67 on Saturday night before 5,170 fans at the Von Braun Center. The win was the third straight for Alabama, which improved to 3-1 on the young Arena Football League season, while the Iron fell to 3-1.
Vipers quarterback Kevin Eakin was 19 of 26 passing for 221 yards and seven touchdowns, with three of those going to CJ Johnson who finished with seven receptions for 91 yards.
Nate Forse caught 15 passes for 207 yards and four touchdowns to pace the Iron, while AFL veteran Chris Greisen threw for 360 yards and nine touchdowns on 33 of 46 passing.
Milwaukee led at halftime 40-35 after Greisen's pass to Anthony Jones, but the Vipers answered on Dan Alexander's 7-yard touchdown run and the sixth of kicker Brian Jackson's 11 straight extra points on the night.
Back-to-back touchdown passes from Eakin to Johnson and Larry Shipp put the Vipers ahead 68-53 with 5:45 to go in the fourth quarter. A 7-yard score on a reverse to Shipp on a third-and-goal upped the advantage to 75-60 with 1:14 to play.
Milwaukee answered on its next possession but Alabama recovered on onside kick to seal the victory.
The Vipers travel to Tulsa next Saturday and then host Orlando on May 15.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from May 2, 2010
- Storm Stand Up Rattlers, 62-61 - Tampa Bay Storm
- Tampa Bay Storm Head Coach Tim Marcum Earns 200th Win - AFL
- Shock lose in a heart breaker 68-72 - Spokane Shock
- Sharks Clip Talons' Wings In Waining Seconds - Jacksonville Sharks
- Vipers knock off unbeaten Milwaukee 75-67 at VBC - Alabama Vipers