Victoria Seals Unveil Opening Day Roster
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Seals are proud announce that they have selected their 22-man opening day roster ahead of the start of the 2010 Golden Baseball League season. The club features eight returning players from the Seals inaugural campaign (see attached roster).
"I feel very confident that we have put together a squad that will be tough to beat," said Seals Field Manager Bret Boone. "We have a bunch of unassuming, hungry baseball players and we're here to win."
The roster includes 19 American-born players, one from the Dominican Republic and two from Canada, including spring-training tryout and Victoria native Charlie Strandlund. Returning to the club in 2010 will be Josh Arhart, Chris Bodishbaugh, Matt Kavanaugh, Wilver Perez, Anthony Pluta, Brian Rios, Aaron Trolia and Chris Van Rossum.
Players with Major League time on the Seals roster include former Blue Jay Jason Kershner, who is slated to start tomorrow's home opener, along with Hawaii native Brandon Villafuerte. Other notable acquisitions from within the GBL include former Calgary Viper Colin Moro, former Edmonton Capital Aaron Easton, former St. George RoadRunner Eric Pringle and former Chico Outlaw Shane Cronin.
The Seals are set to begin their second season in the Golden Baseball League, which will feature 90 games (45 home, 45 away) against 9 different teams ranging from Edmonton, Alberta to Maui, Hawaii and Tijuana, Mexico. The playoff format will feature the first-half and second-half division leaders squaring off in a semi-final series, with the GBL champion crowned in mid to late September.
The 2010 Victoria Seals season kicks off tomorrow night when the brand new Na Koa Ikaika Maui arrive at Royal Athletic Park. Both single game and season tickets for the 2010 campaign are now on sale, available through the Victoria Seals office. Call (250) 220-7777 for more information, or to book your seat today!
• Discuss this story on the Golden Baseball League message board...
Golden Baseball League Stories from May 20, 2010
- Toros Win 11-6 in Albie Lopez' Debut - Tucson Toros
- Vipers Surrender Seven in Seventh - Calgary Vipers
- Yoshida to Make Girl Power Night Appearance - Chico Outlaws
- Outlaws Open up on the Road Tomorrow Versus Tijuana Cimarrones - Chico Outlaws
- Roster Set, Outlaws Ride Off To Tijuana To Open Season With New Outfit - Chico Outlaws
- Victoria Seals Unveil Opening Day Roster - Victoria Seals
- Flyers 2010 Roster Finalized, Season Opens Friday In St. George - Orange County Flyers
- Toro's Deliver 5-4 Walkoff Victory On Opening Night - Tucson Toros
- Capitals Lose On GBL's Opening Day - Edmonton Capitals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.