USL Announces Austin Bold FC as a Participating Club for Inaugural USL Academy Cup
AUSTIN, TX - The United Soccer League is proud to announce the 33 USL clubs that will compete in the USL Academy Cup, a new event beginning this year featuring the country's elite youth players from the U-13 and U-17 age groups. This announcement comes off the back of the unveiling of the league's vision for an Academy system and begins with the Academy Cup serving as a forerunner to the first-ever USL Academy League, built to provide a clear youth-to-pro path in each USL community.
"This year's cup competition is the first big step toward building a league model for all of our academies," said USL CEO Alec Papadakis. "You can see from both the number and quality of teams participating that there's a tremendous amount of enthusiasm for what we're looking to accomplish. We see this as an integral part of our organization, and the foundation of this league for years to come."
The cup competition will see academy teams from all three levels of the USL represented, with clubs from the Championship, League One, and League Two all competing against one another. These events will be designed to better identify and accelerate the development of elite youth players with the potential to reach the professional ranks.
"This is a fantastic opportunity for Austin Bold FC to participate with the youth of Austin in a prestigious national tournament," said Lee Stooksberry, Director of International Relations/Scouting. "Local youth organizations and youth players will be able to partake and grow along with our club. We are very excited for USL Academy Cup as it ties in with our upcoming youth project efforts in June."
The makeup of the competition will include 22 teams representing the USL Championship, with three League One clubs and eight League Two clubs rounding out a growing footprint that already reaches 21 states across the country.
"The USL Academy Cup is a testament to the great work being done by leaders in youth development across the country and shows a strong belief in supporting environments that will push our top youth players to grow and evolve," said Liam O'Connell, USL Sr. Director of Youth Development. "We are incredibly proud to launch this competition this year and to see our clubs continue to take on an even bigger role in driving the growth of our game for many years to come."
As a part of USL's growth, the Academy Cup will lead into the Academy League, a player-focused, club-driven league designed to serve as the gold standard of youth development. Aligning with the USL's vision, clubs will participate at the highest level of competition in their respective age ranges with a goal to improve club and coaching development as well as provide the optimal environment for player growth.
For information on conference alignment, competition structure, and the latest on the USL Academy initiatives, visit https://www.uslsoccer.com/academy.
For more information on Austin Bold FC, visit https://www.austinboldfc.com. Fans can purchase tickets to Austin Bold FC games here. 2019 season tickets can be purchased by calling the Austin Bold FC sales office at 512-655-6300 or by visiting AustinBoldFC.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 2, 2019
- Indy Eleven Looks to Rebound at Home vs. North Carolina FC - Indy Eleven
- Lights FC Match Preview vs. Sacramento - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Charleston Battery - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preview: Nashville SC Travels Down to Kennesaw for Date with Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- USL Announces Austin Bold FC as a Participating Club for Inaugural USL Academy Cup - Austin Bold FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Saint Louis FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Riverhounds SC Signs Goalkeeper Austin Pack - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Indy Eleven Among Participating Clubs in Inaugural USL Academy Cup - Indy Eleven
- USL Announces Participating Clubs for Inaugural USL Academy Cup - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Louisville City Will Compete in the Inaugural USL Academy Cup - Louisville City FC
- Crystal Dunn, Abby Dahlkemper, Jessica McDonald and Samantha Mewis Named to U.S. Team for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - North Carolina FC
- Independence SC Announced for Inaugural USL Academy Cup - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville SC to Participate in 1st Annual TUSC Golf Tournament - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Confirms New Dates for Three USL Championship Regular Season Matches - Indy Eleven
- Saed Diaz Receives International Call-Up - Philadelphia Union II
- Three Things: Indy 1 - 1 Rowdies - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Indy Eleven Returns Home, Earns Point from 0-0 Draw vs. Tampa Bay - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members
- Austin Bold FC Finishes the Season with 2-1 Victory over San Antonio FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC at Rio Grande Valley FC