Update on Ottawa Fury FC Sanctioning
OTTAWA - Ottawa Fury FC was today informed by Canada Soccer that it has now been sanctioned by CONCACAF, the governing body for soccer in North America, to play in the United Soccer League (USL) in 2019, subject to approval by FIFA, soccer's international governing body. Notification was provided to Canada Soccer after Fury FC sought urgent relief from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to permit the team to play in the USL after its sanctioning had been brought into question by CONCACAF. With confirmation that CONCACAF sanctioning has been received, there is no longer any need for the urgent relief from CAS.
"Now that we're sanctioned by CONCACAF, the US Soccer Federation and Canada Soccer to play in USL Championship in 2019, we will accelerate preparations for the 2019 season," said Mark Goudie, President and CEO of Ottawa Fury FC's parent company, the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG). "Too much negative energy has already been expended on this. I hope that we (starting with me) can now get back to supporting Canadian soccer and each other, regardless of what level or pitch we play on or badge we wear... except for the two-hour period we might play against each other, of course."
Goudie added: "Julian (Ottawa Fury FC GM Julian de Guzman) can now get back to completing our roster for 2019 and we look forward to our mission to bring playoff soccer back to Ottawa come next fall."
Ottawa Fury FC is getting ready for its sixth season as a professional club, and third in USL Championship, with action set to begin on the road over the weekend of March 8-10, 2019. The team's regular season home opener against Nashville SC will be played on Saturday, April 6th at TD Place. Fans can join the Fury FC Family right away by purchasing a season membership, or with the new Fury+ which gets them access to all regular season home matches for only $30 per month per seat! For more information on Fury+ and other season membership options and perks, visit OttawaFuryFC.com/Fury-plus.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 21, 2018
- Sounders FC 2 Signs Modou Ndow and Ben Numbi - Tacoma Defiance
- Columbus Crew SC Set to Participate in Challenge Cup - Charleston Battery
- Switchbacks FC Return Anchoring Trio - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Update on Ottawa Fury FC Sanctioning - Ottawa Fury FC
- Republic FC Re-Sign Former UC Davis Defender Elliott Hord - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC to Play Montreal Impact in Preseason - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa Fury FC Stories
- Huge Performance Earns Francois a Spot on USL Championship Team of the Week
- Fury FC Celebrates May-Long Weekend with 3-0 Win in Bethlehem
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Bethlehem Steel FC
- New Date for Fury FC Trip to Saint Louis Announced
- Young Fury FC Players Looking to Shine in Second CapCity Cup