Unlucky Seven as Saints Lose at Home Again 4-1
ST. PAUL, MN - It is becoming unexplainable for the St. Paul Saints at Midway Stadium as they lost for the seventh consecutive time at home, this time 4-1 to the Sioux Falls Canaries in front of 6,053 on Saturday night.
On a rainy and cold night after an hour and 15 minute rain delay the Saints held the lead for the first time in 55 innings at home scoring a run in the second inning. With one out Brian Sprout singled to left. Ben Thomas followed with a bunt single putting runners at first and second. Kevin Sullivan walked to load the bases. After a strike out of Skip Adams, Demetrius Heath walked to force in a run and give the Saints a 1-0 lead.
The Canaries didn't waste anytime tying the game getting three consecutive singles in the third from Damon Lessler, Cameron Coughlan and Casey Gordan, the latter scoring a run.
The Canaries took the lead for good in the sixth when Matt Imwalle singled to left. He moved to second on a groundout by Ben Van Iderstine and scored on a single from Tim Marks.
The Canaries put the game away in the seventh inning when Lessler reached on a bunt single and Coughlan doubled him to third. Gordan singled over a drawn in infield scoring both runs for the deciding margin.
Canaries starter Lenny Bays was solid going 8.0 innings allowing one run on six hits while walking three and striking out nine to improve to 8-1 on the season.
The Saints have Sunday off and welcome the Lincoln Saltdogs to Midway Stadium on Monday night at 7:05 p.m. The Saints send RHP Alec Shepherd (2-1, 3.86) to the mound. The game can be seen on the Saints Cable Network and heard on KBGY 107.5. It is "If You Break It, They Will Come" presented by 3M-MRO, Maintenance and Repair.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2007
- Unlucky Seven as Saints Lose at Home Again 4-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Aviators Grounded by Diablos, 6-2 - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Sports win 2nd straight over Pensacola - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- The Diablos win 6-2 over Coastal Bend - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Champions: Saints Claim First Title in 15 Years with 6-3 Victory, Sweep Series
- Saints City of Baseball Museum Honored with Top Ballpark Improvement by Ballpark Digest
- Lang Haunts Former Team, Saints Win Game Two of American Association Finals 3-2, One Win Shy of Title
- Saints Draw First Blood, Take Game One of American Association Finals 12-3
- Finals Tickets Now on Sale