U.S. Nat'l U-18 Team Tops Southern Minn., 2-1, in OT
BLAINE, Minn. - David Warsofsky (Marshfield, Mass.) tallied a goal in overtime to lift the U.S. National Under-18 Team past the Southern Minnesota Express, 2-1, here tonight in the finale of the 2007 North American Hockey League Showcase. Team USA finished the Showcase with a 3-0-0-1 record.
"Tonight's game was an excellent test for us," said John Hynes, head coach of Team USA. "Our team showed a lot of poise, persistence and great composure throughout the game. This week really challenged us mentally and physically and I think we'll be a better team because of it."
With the score tied 0-0 after 20 minutes, Express defenseman Robby Spalding notched a power-play goal when he one-timed a snap shot past the outstretched glove of netminder Joe Cannata (Wakefield, Mass.) at 6:43 of the second stanza. Despite outshooting the Express in the second and third periods, Team USA was unable to muster a goal until late in the final frame.
With just 2:10 left in regulation and Team USA on the power play, Danny Kristo (Eden Prairie, Minn.) fired a wrist shot from the middle point that beat goaltender Nick Graves between the legs to tie the score and send the game to overtime.
At the 1:40 mark of the extra period, Warsofsky collected a rebound and fired a wrist shot past Graves to give Team USA the 2-1 victory.
Cannata made 24 saves in the winning effort.
The U.S. National Under-18 Team returns to action next weekend when it hosts NAHL North Division-foe Mahoning Valley (Ohio) Friday (Sept. 28) at 7:30 p.m. EDT and Saturday (Sept. 29) at 7:00 p.m. at the Ann Arbor (Mich.) Ice Cube.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2007
- Blizzard Defeat Stars on 17th Shootout Attempt - Alexandria Blizzard
- Maginnis Stops 37 as Outlaws Fall to Alpena - North Iowa Outlaws
- U.S. Nat'l U-18 Team Tops Southern Minn., 2-1, in OT - U.S. National Team
- Stars rock Alaska, 6-1 - Traverse City North Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent U.S. National Team Stories
- USA Hockey Adds Hayes, Turer to NTDP Staff Ahead of 2023-24 Season
- Greg Moore Named Head Coach at USA Hockey National Team Development Program
- NTDP Names Rod Braceful Director of Player Personnel
- Thirteen Players Selected from National Team Development Program in 2023 NHL Draft
- Carle to Coach 2024 National Junior Team