U.S. Nat'l U-18 Team Falls to U. of Maine, 5-3
ORONO, Maine -- Despite third period goals from Vinny Saponari (Powder Springs, Ga.) and Justin Florek (Marquette, Mich.), the U.S. National Under-18 Team fell to the University of Maine, 5-3, here tonight at Alfond Arena.
"I thought our effort was very good tonight," said John Hynes, head coach of Team USA. "It was an evenly matched game. I think two or three plays made the difference in the outcome."
Maine took the early lead when Keenan Thompson tapped a rebound past netminder Joe Cannata (Wakefield, Mass.) just 42 seconds into the opening period.
In the second stanza, Billy Ryan gave Maine a 2-0 advantage with a power-play goal at 9:44. Colin Moore (Medfield, Mass.) cut Team USA's deficit in half after his wraparound attempt beat goaltender Dave Wilson with 1:35 remaining in the period.
After Maine extended its lead, 3-1, early in the final frame, Saponari circled behind the Maine net and slipped the puck past Wilson at 10:59. Ryan notched his second power-play goal of the night after redirecting Josh Van Dyk's pass by Cannata at 14:10 to give Maine a 4-2 advantage. Florek tallied a power-play goal at 17:30 to get Team USA back within one. With Cannata pulled in favor of an extra attacker, Ryan notched his third goal of the game to account for the 5-3 final.
The U.S. National Under-18 Team returns to action next weekend when they travel to Colorado Springs, Colo., to face Colorado College on Friday (Oct. 12) at 7:37 p.m. MT and the U.S. Air Force Academy on Saturday (Oct. 13) at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2007
- Jets Fall 5-4 In Shoot Out Fashion - Fargo-Moorhead Jets
- Outlaws Sweep Up - North Iowa Outlaws
- U.S. Nat'l U-18 Team Falls to U. of Maine, 5-3 - U.S. National Team
- Stars drub Marquette, 4-1 - Traverse City North Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent U.S. National Team Stories
- U.S. National Under-17 Team to Open International Play
- USA Weekly: U18s Sweep Madison; U17s Earn First USHL Win
- BioSteel All-American Game to be Hosted at USA Hockey Arena
- USA Weekly: U18s Earn First NCAA Win; Five Games on Deck for Weekend
- Team USA to Host Second Annual Sensory-Friendly Game Sunday