Tyrone Taylor and Tyler Wagner honored by Brewers for July
VIERA, Fla. - The Milwaukee Brewers announced on Tuesday that Manatees right-handed pitcher Tyler Wagner was named the minor league pitcher of the month and that Brevard County center fielder Tyrone Taylor was named the minor league co-player of the month for July.
In five starts last month, Wagner went 4-0 with a 0.51 ERA (2 ER/35.1 IP), which was the lowest earned run average posted by any qualifying pitcher in the entire organization. He allowed just three runs total, while throwing an organizational-high 35.1 innings. Wagner struck out 25 men, held opponents to a .153 batting average and posted a 0.71 WHIP. The Las Vegas, Nev. native surrendered zero or one run in all five of his starts. In game one of a doubleheader on July 17, Wagner threw his first complete game of the season at St. Lucie. He yielded just one run on four hits in seven innings.
Wagner was selected by the Brewers in the fourth round of the 2012 MLB First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Utah.
In 25 July games, Taylor hit .326 (31-for-95) with 12 RBI. He smacked seven doubles, a triple and a home run. Taylor struck out just six times all month and walked five times. The center fielder also stole seven bases and was never caught. Taylor recorded nine multi-hit games in the month of July, including two three-hit games. On July 25 vs. Palm Beach, Taylor tied a career-high with five RBI. He collected three hits total, including a three-run home run.
The Milwaukee Brewers selected Taylor in the second round of the 2012 MLB First-Year Player Draft out of Torrance HS (Calif.)
Taylor shared the award with Sthervin Matos of the Helena Brewers.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 5, 2014
- 'Tees Eight Hits Not Enough in 5-2 Loss to Tampa - Brevard County Manatees
- Tyrone Taylor and Tyler Wagner honored by Brewers for July - Brevard County Manatees
- Double Header August 6 - Tampa Yankees
- Fan Appreciation Night August 23 - Tampa Yankees
- De La Cruz Robs Clearwater, Lifts Mets to 10-4 Win - St. Lucie Mets
- Marauders Home August 6-8, Doubleheader August 7 - Bradenton Marauders