Tulsa Oilers Even the Series with 6-2 Victory over Denver Cutthroats
Denver - The Denver Cutthroats and Tulsa Oilers faced off at the Denver Coliseum for the fourth game in the opening round of the 2014 Playoffs on Friday, April 11. The Oilers came back from Wednesday night's overtime defeat to tie the series at two with a 6-2 victory over the Cutthroats.
The Tulsa Oilers took a strong lead in the opening frame and never looked back. At 4:05 Ryan Cramer scored the Oilers first goal of the game unassisted. Just 20 seconds later, teammate Drew Fisher (Blair Macaulay, Adam Pleskach) found the back of the Cutthroats net for a
2-0 lead. Kyle Bochek (Matthew Larke, Cramer) fired the puck between Denver's posts for Tulsa's third goal of the period. With less than two minutes remaining in the frame, Nathan Lutz (Todd Robinson, Ben Gordon) put the Tulsa Oilers up 4-0 over the Denver Cutthroats.
John Griggs stepped into the net for the Denver Cutthroats at the start of the second period to replace netminder Kent Patterson. Friday night was Griggs first stand between the Cutthroats posts in the Playoffs, having tallied 12 games in the regular season with 10 wins, one loss and two shutouts. Michel Beausoleil (Larke) shot the puck past the Cutthroats goaltender to extend the Oilers lead 5-0. Matthew Larke (Bochek, Lutz) scored Tulsa's sixth consecutive goal.
Kyle Fletcher (Matt Glasser, Sean Zimmerman) lit up the lamp for his first goal in the 2014 Playoffs and the Cutthroats opening goal of the night. Forward Troy Schwab (Aaron MacKenzie, Garett Bembridge) scored Denver's second and final goal of the night to close the game. Tulsa's 6-2 victory evened the best-of-seven series at two, leaving the opening round between the Oilers and Cutthroats up for grabs.
The Denver Cutthroats will host the Tulsa Oilers for the fifth game of the opening round Playoff series on Saturday, April 12 at the Denver Coliseum. For ticket information, call 866.464.2626 or visit DenverCutthroats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 12, 2014
- Denver Cutthroats First Team to Shut Out Opponent in the 2014 Playoffs - Denver Cutthroats
- Rush Fall To Mallards, Take 3-2 Series Lead Back To Black Hills - Rapid City Rush
- Patterson Makes 52 Saves as Cutthroats Blank Oilers in Game 5 - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Take Game Five, Grab Series Lead - Quad City Mallards
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspension - CHL
- Oilers and Cutthroats Battle in Game 5 Tonight - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush Take Crucial Game Four Win, Even Series at 2-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop Game 4 against Mavericks - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Tie Series with 3-1 Victory over Sundogs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Tulsa Oilers Even the Series with 6-2 Victory over Denver Cutthroats - Denver Cutthroats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster