Torres' fourth quarter goal sparks Wave to 3-2 win over Steamers
(Milwaukee, WI) Johnny Torres scored at 8:45 of the fourth quarter to break a 2-2 tie and propel the Milwaukee Wave (8-3) to a 3-2 win over the St. Louis Steamers (7-4) in a battle of Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Central Division rivals Saturday night (12/11) at U.S. Cellular Arena in Milwaukee, WI.
Torres converted from the top of the penalty area off a pass from Greg Howes, who assisted on all three Milwaukee goals. Torres goal, his third of the season, came just 1:04 after D.J. Newsom scored his first of the 2004-05 campaign to knot the score at 2-2. Prior to Newsoms goal, neither team had scored since the 9:55 mark of the first quarter when Joe Hammes slotted home a marker from Howes to put Milwaukee ahead 2-1.
Troy Dusoskys goal from Howes at 6:57 of the first period initially put the Wave on top 1-0, just ahead of Aaron Susis restart blast at 8:19 of the first that tied the score at 1-1.
Nick Vorberg (6-1) recorded the win by stopping 9-of-11 shots faced. Counterpart Brett Phillips (4-3) took the loss despite saving 9-of-12. The Wave is now 2-0 against the Steamers this season and 8-0 in the all-time series dating back to last season. The two clubs are slated to meet again on Friday, January 7, 7:05 PM at U.S. Cellular Arena.
NOTE: With his first shift of the night, St. Louis player / coach Daryl Doran became the first player in the history of North American professional indoor soccer to play in 800 regular season games. The 41-year old Doran, who has spent 20-of-his-21 seasons in a St. Louis uniform, did not register any points.
Milwaukee resumes action this upcoming Friday night, December 17, 7:05 PM when it hosts the two-time defending MISL Champion Baltimore Blast at U.S. Cellular Arena. Call the Wave office at 414-224-WAVE (9283) for tickets or information, or visit www.milwaukeewave.com.
All Wave games home and away may be heard live on www.milwaukeewave.com. All road games may also be heard on 540 AM, WRRD (The Word), with air time approximately 15 minutes prior to kick-off.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League 2 message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League 2 Stories from December 11, 2004
- Storm blasts past Baltimore, 10-6 - Chicago Storm
- Torres' fourth quarter goal sparks Wave to 3-2 win over Steamers - Milwaukee Wave
- Sockers drop close game to Comets, 6-4 - San Diego Sockers
- Force Kicks Past Philadelphia For Key Eastern Division Victory, 6-5 - Cleveland Force
- KiXX Fall to Cleveland, 6-5 - Philadelphia KiXX
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Milwaukee Wave announces cancellation of 2020-21 season
- Washington County FC Joins ROC Ventures SC Wave Family
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6
- Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader
- Back to Back Home Games for Milwaukee Wave this Weekend