Toros Sign Dallas Native Camden Riley
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley FC Toros announced today the signing of midfielder Camden Riley for the 2021 USL Championship season, pending league and federation approval.
"Camden is a very talented and versatile player who has a great capacity to change the game in a positive way," said Wilmer Cabrera, RGV FC Head Coach and Sporting Director. "He is tall, athletic, very technical and with an engine to run box to box during the whole game. Those characteristics make him a very important player for our team."
Riley was selected in the Second Round of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft by Sporting Kansas City and was subsequently signed by its Championship club, Sporting Kansas City II. The 24-year-old made 37 appearances for the club over the past two seasons, recording 3,025 minutes of action.
In the 2020 Championship season, the defensive midfielder totaled 25 clearances, 31 interceptions and four blocks while winning 51.9% of duels and had a 69.6% tackle success rate in 13 appearances. On the offensive side, Riley completed 518 of 634 passes and notched six key passes. Additionally, Riley totaled three shots, one on target and one assist.
In 2019, the Dallas native started in 21 of 24 appearances, tallying one goal in 1,974 minutes of action. On May 22, 2019, Riley scored his first professional goal off a penalty kick against Memphis 901 FC. Riley had 1,113 successful passes out of 1,304, giving him 85.4% success passing rate.
Not only was he a key player offensively, but Riley totaled 73 clearances, 34 interceptions and six blocks on the defensive end.
Riley competed at the college level with University of the Pacific, scoring a total of 19 goals and contributing 10 assists from 2015-18. He is the program's all-time leading scorer and tied for second in career assists. He also scored four game-winning goals, setting a single-season Pacific record.
During his senior year, Riley recorded a team-best nine goals and five assists which saw him named to the United Soccer Coaches All-America Second Team. He was also the West Coast Conference Player of the Year and a MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist.
TRANSACTION: Rio Grande Valley FC signs midfielder Camden Riley.
FULL NAME: Camden Riley
DATE OF BIRTH: Aug. 20, 1996
BIRTHPLACE: Dallas, TX
HOMETOWN: Dallas, TX
PREVIOUS TEAM: Sporting Kansas City
FIFA NATIONALITY: United States
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 4, 2021
- Sporting Kansas City II Signs Croatian Youth International Aljaz Dzankic - Sporting Kansas City II
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Six-Year Apparel Agreement with Adidas - Phoenix Rising FC
- James Chambers Named Switchbacks FC Assistant Coach - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Body & Soul Massage Therapy Returns as Club Partner for 2021 Season - Indy Eleven
- State of the Republic: Full Roster Breakdown - Sacramento Republic FC
- Atlanta United Signs Ben Lundgaard from ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United 2
- Roots Sign Argentine Midfielder Matias Fissore - Oakland Roots
- Charlotte Independence Announce Tailgating Coming to American Legion Memorial Stadium - Charlotte Independence
- Zach Carroll Returns to Memphis 901 FC - Memphis 901 FC
- LA Galaxy II Sign Midfielder Axel Picazo - LA Galaxy II
- Midfielder Alejandro Guido Returns to SD Loyal - San Diego Loyal
- Toros Sign Dallas Native Camden Riley - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Defender Nicolas Cardona Receives Call up to Puerto Rico National Team - Hartford Athletic
- FC Tulsa Signs Two Local Youth Standouts to Academy Contracts - FC Tulsa
- Austin Bold FC Strengthens Squad with Three Returning Players - Austin Bold FC
- MLS Foes Highlight LouCity's Preseason Schedule - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.