Midfielder Alejandro Guido Returns to SD Loyal
San Diego, CA - San Diego Loyal SC (SD Loyal) announces that midfielder Alejandro Guido, a Chula Vista native, will remain under contract for its 2021 USL Championship season, pending league and federation approval. Guido will be the first player in SD Loyal history to wear the number 10 kit, historically worn by some of the best players in the world.
"We are elated to welcome Alejandro back to our club," said Landon Donovan, EVP of Soccer Operations and Manager. "He had an immediate impact when he arrived last year and we feel extremely fortunate to have a player of his caliber at our club. He makes our team better in every way and we look forward to great things from him this season."
Midfielder Guido, 26, joined SD Loyal in September 2020 on loan from MLS club Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC). He played in five matches during SD Loyal's inaugural season, scoring two goals and adding two assists in his 300 minutes on the pitch. Guido spent his childhood playing for local soccer teams in the South Bay area of San Diego County and in Tijuana just across the border. Prior to signing with LAFC, he had stints at Club Tijuana of Liga MX and has experience at the youth international level as a standout for the U.S. at the U-17 World Cup in 2017.
"It's an honor and I am grateful to be trusted with the number 10," said Guido. "I think it comes with great responsibility and duty. To me, it means to have a strong presence on the field that is not only about providing assists or scoring goals, but also about defending and applying pressure to win the ball back for the team."
The best soccer players strive to earn the honor of carrying jersey no. 10 as it's attached to such prestige and is a sign of earned respect. The club is honored to give that famous kit number to Guido. Fans can expect to see Guido, and the entire club, back in action in March 2021 as their preseason schedule was announced along with the division breakdown back to back.
Season Ticket Memberships are on sale now for six payments of $16.50 through March 31, 2021. Seats can be purchased by calling (858) 465-GOAL or at sdloyal.com/tickets. For frequently asked questions about attending matches this season, click here.
CURRENT SAN DIEGO LOYAL SC ROSTER
GOALKEEPERS (2): Trey Muse (on loan), Austin Guerrero
DEFENDERS (7): Elijah Martin, Jack Metcalf, Grant Stoneman, Sal Zizzo, Thomas Vancaeyezeele, Ebenezer Ackon, Jordan Chavez
MIDFIELDERS (6): Charlie Adams, Collin Martin, Tumi Moshobane, Jack Blake, Morgan Hackworth, Alejandro Guido
FORWARDS (3): Corey Hertzog, Ben Spencer, Niki Jackson
Hometown: San Diego, CA
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 4, 2021
- Sporting Kansas City II Signs Croatian Youth International Aljaz Dzankic - Sporting Kansas City II
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Six-Year Apparel Agreement with Adidas - Phoenix Rising FC
- James Chambers Named Switchbacks FC Assistant Coach - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Body & Soul Massage Therapy Returns as Club Partner for 2021 Season - Indy Eleven
- State of the Republic: Full Roster Breakdown - Sacramento Republic FC
- Atlanta United Signs Ben Lundgaard from ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United 2
- Roots Sign Argentine Midfielder Matias Fissore - Oakland Roots
- Charlotte Independence Announce Tailgating Coming to American Legion Memorial Stadium - Charlotte Independence
- Zach Carroll Returns to Memphis 901 FC - Memphis 901 FC
- LA Galaxy II Sign Midfielder Axel Picazo - LA Galaxy II
- Midfielder Alejandro Guido Returns to SD Loyal - San Diego Loyal
- Toros Sign Dallas Native Camden Riley - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Defender Nicolas Cardona Receives Call up to Puerto Rico National Team - Hartford Athletic
- FC Tulsa Signs Two Local Youth Standouts to Academy Contracts - FC Tulsa
- Austin Bold FC Strengthens Squad with Three Returning Players - Austin Bold FC
- MLS Foes Highlight LouCity's Preseason Schedule - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Loyal Stories
- SD Loyal Unveils "Leal Sin MurosÃ¢ÂÂ Initiative to Celebrate the LatinX Community and Unite Cali-Baja Region Through Soccer
- Preseason Continued in the Emerald City against MLS Powerhouse
- SD Loyal Signs Four Local Youth Academy Talents
- Preparation Match with USL Championship Taste
- SD Loyal Releases 2021 USL Regular Season Schedule