Toros Equalize with New Mexico 1-1
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Rio Grande Valley FC (9-15-8, 35 pts.) draw with New Mexico United (10-9-12, 42 pts.) on Saturday night, 1-1, at electric Isotopes Park.
Although New Mexico dominated in the first half, RGV FC created chances throughout the half. In the 7th minute, Houston Dynamo loanee, Michael Salazar, had an attempt after a back-heel pass from Carlos Small. Salazar shot from the right side of the box to the top right corner going over the crossbar after keeper Cody Mizell deflected out.
In the 12th minute, Small managed to take advantage of an error from New Mexico. Small took a right footed shot from the center of the box but missed to the left. Following a foul conceded by the Toros, Christopher Wehan took a right-footed direct shot from outside the box but sent it over the crossbar.
After Kevin Rodriguez was fouled inside the penalty area, Small converted the penalty sending it past Mizell to the top right corner in the 40th minute, 0-1. Nearly four minutes later, the United equalized the match 1-1 after Sam Hamilton headed a cross by Manny Padilla to the bottom left corner past Nico Corti.
New Mexico had another dangerous attempt when David Estrada headed the ball following a set piece but missed to the left in the 61st minute. Three minute later, Jesus Enriquez took a long strike when he shot from outside the box but sent it over the top cross bar.
Right after, Devon Sandoval took on Corti on a one on one situation but Corti managed to slap the ball and save the shot. In the 72nd minute, Kevaughn Frater took a left-footed shot from the left side of the box, but the ball hit the right bottom post and was saved.
In the 87th minute, Small took a shot at goal from outside the box but was saved in the center of the goal. Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. had an attempt when he sent a direct kick following a foul by New Mexico but hit the top bar in the 89th minute.
The Toros did not want to end the match with one point. Enriquez took another shot from outside the box but missed to the left side of the goal in the 94th minute. Deshane Beckford had one last attempt when he was at a close range but missed to the left.
RGV FC ended the night with 12 total shots, three at goal. New Mexico United totaled 13 shots with four on target.
Conor Donovan and Kyle Adams played a key role tonight on the defensive side. Donovan totaled three tackles, five clearances, and one interception and block. Adams led the squad with eight clearances and two blocks. Corti totaled three saves and one clearance tonight.
On the attacking side, Small totaled three shots, two on target and one key pass.
RGV FC continues on the road on Sunday, October 13 at OKC Energy FC. Kickoff will be at 6:00 p.m. CT. The match will be available on ESPN+ and updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Scoring Summary: RGV FC - Small 40' (PK).
NMU - Hamilton 44' (Assist by Padilla).
Misconduct Summary: RGV FC - Junqua 26' YC, Rodriguez 45'+ YC.
NMU - Moar 55' YC, Muhammad 65' YC.
NMU - Mizell, Tetteh, Padilla, Suggs, Schmidt, Soler (Moar 45'), Estrada (Frater 67'), Hamilton, Muhammad, Wehan, Sandoval.
Subs: Akamatsu, Yearwood, Sampson, Beaury, Bruce.
Stats: Shots: 13 Shots on Goal: 4 Saves: 2 Fouls: 12 Corner Kicks: 5 Offsides: 3.
RGV FC - Corti, Donovan, Junqua, Adams, Samuels, Bird, Rodriguez (Beckford 85'), Martinez, Enriquez, Salazar (Obregon Jr. 70'), Small (Jackson 91').
Subs: Castellanos, Cabrera, Willis, Coronado.
Stats: Shots: 12 Shots on Goal: 3 Saves: 3 Fouls: 7 Corner Kicks: 2 Offsides: 1.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 5, 2019
- Toros Equalize with New Mexico 1-1 - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- STLFC Falls 1-0 to Defending Champions Louisville City FC - Saint Louis FC
- Battery Hold Birmingham to Scoreless Draw - Charleston Battery
- Republic FC Reclaim Fourth Place Following Saturday's Win in Tulsa - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roughnecks Nearly Weather Charge from Sacramento Republic FC - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Draw Brings Reno Closer to Playoff Slot - Reno 1868 FC
- Indy Eleven Posts 3-0 Win at Home over Memphis 901 FC - Indy Eleven
- Hounds Finish Regular Season Unbeaten at Home, Draw Atlanta, 1-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- ATL UTD 2 Draws 1-1 at Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Atlanta United 2
- 2 Goals Power Hartford to a Draw against Swope Park - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina FC Earns 11th Home Win with 2-0 Defeat of New York Red Bulls II - North Carolina FC
- Memphis 901 FC Falls at Indy Eleven, 3-0 - Memphis 901 FC
- Reno 1868 FC vs. El Paso Locomotive FC Preview - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: Final Homestand of the Season Kicks off Saturday - Hartford Athletic
- GameDay: LouCity vs. Saint Louis - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- H-E-B Park to Host Group B Play at 2020 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Season with 2-1 Win over Timbers 2
- RGV FC Hosts Timbers 2 for Last Game of the 2019 Season
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy
- Preview: RGV FC Makes Last Road Trip to OKC Energy