Tomahawks Fall in OT, Take 3 of 4 Points on Road
ODENTON, Md. - The Johnstown Tomahawks concluded their weekend series against the Maryland Black Bears on Saturday.
Six minutes into the second period, Tomahawks rookie forward Jason Tynan socre his first career goal to put the Hawks on the board, but it would be the only time Johnstown would light the lamp. Two minutes later, Maryland's Jackson Sterrett tied the game.
In 3-on-3 overtime, Maryland's Kyle Oleksiuk turned on the jets, breaking away from Malik Alishlalov, and went five-hole to beat goaltender David Tomeo. Oleksiuk's effort secured Maryland's first ever win against Johnstown. The teams first faced each other on October 12, 2018, and Johnstown went on a 13 game winning streak.
The efforts of David Tomeo kept the game close despite Maryland's best offensive efforts, stopping 53 of 55 shots. He moves on to 5-1-1 on the season with the Tomahawks.
With the overtime loss, the Tomahawks went home with 3 of 4 possible points against Maryland, further cementing their 2nd place position in the East Division.
Elsewhere in the East Division, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights were defeated by the 1st place New Jersey Titans, and the Jamestown Rebels topped the Maine Nordiques. The Northeast Generals fell to the Kenai River Brown Bears in an inter-division match-up.
1st Period Recap
2nd Period Recap
5:58 Johnstown goal scored by Jason Tynan, assisted by Matthew Doyle.
8:06 Maryland shorthanded goal scored by Jackson Sterrett, unassisted.
3rd Period Recap
2:09 Maryland goal scored by Kyle Oleksiuk.
Final Shots on Goal count: Johnstown Tomahawks (38) | Maryland Black Bears (55)
Johnstown will then return home for a three game series against the Jamestown Rebels. Thursday, November 7th, is PA Student Council Night, where the Hawks will host Westmont Hilltop high school and guests from a PA Student Council Symposium.
November 8th and 9th are Military Appreciation Weekend. Veterans can receive a free ticket by visiting the 1ST SUMMIT ARENA Box Office and presenting military ID courtesy Martin-Baker America.
Saturday, November 9th is also Scout Night, and the 2nd annual Military Veterans Classic will be played immediately following the Tomahawks vs. Rebels game. The Classic will feature teams of veterans across all branches of America's Armed Forces, with the local Johnstown Generals taking on the Ashburn Veterans. Admission to this game is included with your Johnstown Tomahawks game ticket.
Tickets are available in-person at the 1ST SUMMIT ARENA Box Office and online at www.1stSummitArena.com/go/Tomahawks.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from November 2, 2019
- Wolves Drop Fourth Straight - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Bugs Shutout Jacks - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Knights Fall 4-3 in Back and Forth Game with Titans - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Bulls Blank IceRays 2-0 Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Glockner's Shutout Lifts Bulls to Weekend Sweep of IceRays - Amarillo Bulls
- Offensive Explosion Leads Bruins Past Magicians, 6-3 - Austin Bruins
- Tomahawks Fall in OT, Take 3 of 4 Points on Road - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Oleksiuk Lifts Black Bears over Tomahawks in Overtime - Maryland Black Bears
- Thrun's Goal in Overtime Lifts Brown Bears to Victory - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Zilisch Nets Game-Winner, Pilots Down Brahmas 4-1 - Topeka Pilots
- Wings Roll TO 8-1 Win Friday - Aberdeen Wings
- Jacks Hold off Bugs - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Jackalopes Pick up Exciting Home Win against Shreveport - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.