Tigers Fall in 2019 Opener at Lowell
Lowell, MA - Eliezer Alfonzo had a two-RBI single in the seventh inning, but it was not enough as the Connecticut Tigers (0-1) fall 6-3 in the 2019 season opener against the Lowell Spinners (1-0).
The Spinners got on the board first in the bottom half of the first and never trailed in the game. Carson Lance (Loss, 0-1) started for Connecticut. Lance went two innings with four strikeouts while surrendering two runs. Yusneil Padron (Win, 1-0) gave the Spinners six innings. He gave up three hits and struck out seven.
The Tigers got their first run of the game from Jordan Verdon on a Julio Martinez RBI single. Martinez capped off the contest going 3-for-4 with an RBI and run scored. Verdon went 1-for-3 with a walk, double and run scored.
Nick Northcut brought home two runs on a two-RBI double in the third to make it 3-1. Northcut went 3-for-4 with three doubles, two RBI and a run scored. The Spinners added two more runs to push the lead to 5-1.
Zac Shepherd was able to preserve the deficit heading to the seventh. Shepherd went one inning giving up one hit and striking out one in his first outing.
With the Tigers trailing 5-1 in the seventh, Connecticut rallied to load the bases. After the Alfonzo single, they stranded the bases loaded. Alfonzo finished 1-for-4 with 2 RBI.
In the eighth inning, the Tigers loaded the bases again, but left them stranded. Brendan Nail (Save, 1) came in with one out and got two-straight strikeouts to end the inning. Nail went 1.2 innings with four strikeouts and zero walks
Steve Pearce hit in the designated-hitter spot for the Lowell Spinners on a rehab assignment. The 2018 World Series MVP went 1-for-3 with a run scored and RBI.
The Connecticut Tigers will be back in action tomorrow in Lowell. First pitch is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. You can listen to all the action of tomorrow's game on the Norwich Courtyard by Marriott Connecticut Tigers Radio Network on 1310 WICH. Elijah Gonzalez will have the call with the pregame show starting at 4:45 p.m.
The Connecticut Tigers are the New York-Penn League affiliate of the Detroit Tigers at Dodd Stadium in Norwich, Connecticut. 2019 individual game tickets, season memberships for "The Club", mini plans, and team merchandise are on sale now! The 2019 season kicks off on Sunday, June 16th as the Tigers take on the Vermont Lake Monsters (Oakland Athletics Affiliate) at Dodd Stadium at 7:05 pm. The front office and box office are open daily from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and can be accessed in person, online at www.cttigers.com, or by calling (860) 887-7962.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Cyclones Start Summer with a Win - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Spikes Honor Josiah Viera During Opening Night Contest against 'Cutters - State College Spikes
- Aberdeen Drops Game Two to Hudson Valley - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Bullpen, Late Push Lift Cutters - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Spinners Fall to Tigers on Saturday Night - Lowell Spinners
- Muffley, Pitchers Stymie Birds - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Lake Monsters Improve To 2-0 With 4-1 Win Over Tri-City - Vermont Lake Monsters
- ValleyCats to Partner with Carter's Crew for Autism Awareness Night this Season - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Tigers Fall in 2019 Opener at Lowell - Norwich Sea Unicorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norwich Sea Unicorns Stories
- Sea Unicorns to Celebrate Pi Day March 13th & 14th
- 2020 CT Military All-Star Nominations Now Open
- Congressman Joe Courtney and Norwich Mayor Peter Nystrom to Hold Press Conference at Dodd Stadium Monday, February 3rd
- Norwich Sea Unicorns Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Connecticut Tigers Become the Norwich Sea Unicorns