ThunderBolts Come from Behind to Beat Miners
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts scored four unanswered runs to close out their game with the Southern Illinois miners Wednesday night, finishing a 5-3 win in game two of the series.
The Bolts (6-5) scored first when Zac Taylor and Rob Calabrese both doubled in the first inning, Calabrese extending his hitting streak to 11 games in the process.
Southern Illinois (4-8) answered with a two-out rally in the fourth. Nick Neville tied the score with an RBI single and Anthony Brocato followed with a two-run triple that gave the Miners a 3-1 lead.
In the bottom of the inning, Zach Racusin singled and scored when Jose Layer reached on an error, tightening the deficit to one. They tied the score the next inning. Dan Robinson hit a leadoff double and later, Jairus Richards picked up an RBI single.
The Bolts took the lead for good in the bottom of the sixth. Layer hit an RBI double and scored on a catcher's throwing error to make the score 5-3.
The Miners threatened one more time. In the seventh, John Cable was at third base with one out. Yeltsin Gudino flew to left and Taylor threw Cable out at the plate to preserve the two-run lead.
Kenny Mathews (1-2) earned his first win of the year, going six innings and allowing three runs. Jose Fuentes (0-2) took the loss in relief after allowing two runs in an inning and a third.
The rubber match of the three-game set is Thursday night at 7:05. Kenny Mathews (0-2, 8.21) makes his third start of the season for the ThunderBolts and the Miners counter with Gunnar Kines (0-0, 2.25). It's a White Castle Wrestling Thursday Night, featuring a postgame wrestling show from Zelo Pro Wrestling. Fans who can't make it to Ozinga Field can find the audio and video broadcasts through wcthunderbolts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 10, 2021
- Y'alls Lose First Series of Season After Home Run Derby - Florence Y'alls
- ThunderBolts Fall in Pitchers' Duel - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Take Series from Quebec - Sussex County Miners
- Crushers Win Rubber Match - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things Fight, But Can't Come Back in Defeat - Washington Wild Things
- ValleyCats End Home Stand on a High Note - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Valley Cats Walk off against Boulders - New York Boulders
- KC Royals Purchase Contract of Boulders' Dennis - New York Boulders
- Eighth Inning Helps Boomers Capture Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters Coming Back to Bosse Field for Season-Long Homestand - Evansville Otters
- Zgardowski Humbling Hitters - New Jersey Jackals
- Team Israel to Play Boulders - New York Boulders
- Mistakes Cost Miners at Windy City - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Come from Behind to Beat Miners - Windy City ThunderBolts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.