ThunderBirds set December 8 for first tryout
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - With ten of his expansion team's 16 games in the upcoming 2008 season featuring playoff teams from the previous season, Daytona Beach ThunderBirds Head Coach Herkie Walls is placing a premium on finding the highest level of talent available.
The first opportunity comes Saturday, December 8 when the arena football 2 franchise holds a player tryout at the Bethune-Cookman University practice field.
Registration begins at 8 a.m. followed by workouts an hour later. The $60 non-refundable fee includes a t-shirt.
"People are going to be blown away when they see quality of talent in af2," Walls said. "We need players who are committed to playing at the highest level and want to improve. We will make them better.
"We have an incredible challenge with our 2008 schedule," Walls added. "We open on the road [at fellow expansion franchise Lexington March 29] and our home opener is against a Scranton/Wikes-Barrow (Pa.) team (April 6) that lost in the championship game last year. We can't change the schedule, so we have to rise to the challenge, and we will."
Walls is showing no favoritism to players who have spent time with the Daytona Beach Thunder.
"Everyone has to tryout," Walls said. "We're starting from absolute zero."
For more information, contact Walls via e-mail at [email protected] or call the ThunderBirds office at (386) 423-0560. You can also visit www.dbthunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from November 28, 2007
- WR DePriest joins Shock - Spokane Shock
- ThunderBirds set December 8 for first tryout - Daytona Beach ThunderBirds
- Manchester Wolves Announce Top-Notch Player Signings - Manchester Wolves
- Lubbock's Victor Mann Heads to AFL's New York Dragons - Lubbock Renegades
- Vipers Assigned Players; Release Schedule - Alabama Vipers
- Firecats Announce 2008 Schedule - Florida Firecats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Daytona Beach ThunderBirds Stories
- ThunderBirds set December 8 for first tryout
- ThunderBirds Soar To af2 With AFL Legend Herkie Walls As Coach