Three Unanswered Goals Propel 'Blades to 3-2 Win
INDEPENDENCE, MO - John McCarron had a goal and two assists while Martin Ouellette made 26 saves to help lead the Florida Everblades (35-11-1-4, 75 pts) to a 3-2 come from behind victory over the Kansas City Mavericks (25-26-0-2, 52 pts) Sunday evening at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
Mark Cooper gave Kansas City a 1-0 lead midway through the first period, using the power play to full effect. Corey Durocher fired an initial shot from the left wing side that was stopped by Martin Ouellette. However, an onrushing Cooper managed to corral the rebound and quickly bend his shot around a still recovering Ouellette.
John Schiavo doubled the Mavericks lead midway through the second period. Danny Smith would fire a shot off the leg pad of Martin Ouellette. However, similar to the early goal, the rebound went right to the onrushing Maverick with Shiavo quickly flipping his second chance shot high into the net.
John McCarron would end Florida's goal drought and get the 'Blades back into the game. Joe Cox got the puck down to McCarron in the corner. McCarron flipped the puck from a bad angle in the corner and banged the puck off the back of Kansas City goaltender Adam Carlson and into the net.
Brett Bulmer continued to help build momentum for the 'Blades and tied the game at two. John McCarron cycled the puck around in the offensive zone and flipped a pass over to the slot. Whiffing somewhat on his shot, Bulmer got just enough of the puck to send it trickling past Adam Carlson and just across the goal line.
Gus Young gave the Everblades a 3-2 lead as he somehow managed to score from his own zone while fighting off the Mavericks power play unit. Young picked up the puck and hurled it down the ice from his own right wing circle. Young's clearance sailed right past Adam Carlson who mishandled the puck and it buried itself into the back of the net.
With the momentum firmly in their favor, the 'Blades defense would come up big throughout the third period. Keeping Kansas City off the scoreboard for the remainder of the contest, the Everblades earned an extremely hard fought 3-2 win.
Martin Ouellette came up big multiple times and earns the win in goal for the Everblades, stopping 26 of the 28 shots he faced. Adam Carlson suffers the loss in goal for Kansas City, allowing three goals on 21 shots.
On Wednesday, the Everblades will head to the Amway Center take on the Wawa Sunshine Cup rival Orlando Solar Bears. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Fans can catch the game broadcast on WJBX News, Talk & More on 101.5-FM.104.3-FM, 770-AM or. Fans can also watch the game online at ECHL.TV
Upcoming Home Games
Friday, February 23, vs. Orlando, 7:30 p.m. Kids eat free in the Breakaway Sports Pub with the purchase of an adult entree! All-you-can-eat bottomless popcorn all night long!
Saturday, February 24, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m. Canadian Night presented by TD Bank. Tailgate party from 5-7 p.m. featuring live music and bounce houses for the kids.
Wednesday, February 28, vs. Jacksonville, 7:30 p.m. $2 Wednesday! Fans can enjoy $2 hot dogs, $2 draft beers and $2 wines all night long in the concourse! College students receive a $5 tickets with valid college ID.
Purchase Single Game Tickets at the Florida Community Bank Box Office located at Germain Arena, or online via Ticketmaster
2017-18 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! Flexible partial plans are available. These packages will best fit your schedule and budget! To view pricing and benefits of all available ticket packages CLICK HERE
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2017-18 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage!
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available. For more information on group tickets, call 239-948-7825, or stop by the Everblades offices at Germain Arena Monday thru Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Images from this story
Florida Everblades Defenseman Matt Finn controls the puck against the Kansas City Mavericks
(John Howe / Howe Creative Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 18, 2018
- Americans Swept By Utah, Drop Second In A Row - Allen Americans
- Wichita Sweeps Rush with Shootout Victory - Wichita Thunder
- Indy's Road Trip Ends with a Thud in Tulsa - Indy Fuel
- Rush Fall in Shootout - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Finish Perfect Weekend With Convincing Win over Indy - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Overcome Toledo - Quad City Mallards
- Three Unanswered Goals Propel 'Blades to 3-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Everblades Come Back to Top Mavericks, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Diodati's First Pro Goal Lifts 'Clones to Overtime Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Earn Point in Overtime Loss on Road - Kalamazoo Wings
- Komm Starts Royals Career with 2nd Straight Shutout, 6-0 - Reading Royals
- Royals Rebound to Blank Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 18 - ECHL
- Monarchs Sweep Gladiators, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Manchester Uses Hot Power Play to Earn 5-2 Win over Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Make Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, February 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Closes Weekend Series vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Everblades - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 18 - Manchester Monarchs
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game 52 Preview: Wheeling at Reading - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Second-Straight in Allen 3-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Down Eagles in Shootout Thriller - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Take Series against Railers in 2-1 Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Colorado Rallies for Standings Point in 5-4 Shootout Loss - Colorado Eagles
- Fuel Complete Two-Game Sweep over Mavericks - Indy Fuel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades Announce 2017-18 Season Ending Roster
- Eagles Force a Decisive Game 7 at Germain Arena with 4-2 Win
- Everblades Take Series Lead with 5-0 Win in Game 5
- Young's Overtime Goal Evens Series in a 7-6 Game 4 Thriller
- Heard's Late Goal Propels Everblades to 4-3 Win in Game 2