This Week at Real Salt Lake
Real Salt Lake
RSL got back in the win column on Saturday with a 2-1 win over Orlando City SC at Rio Tinto Stadium to improve to 2-4-1 (7 points). Sam Johnson scored his first MLS goal in the first half and Damir Kreilach added his second of the year in the second half as RSL held off a late comeback from the visitors to improve to 2-1-0 at home. Nedum Onuoha made the MLSsoccer.com Team of the Week while Nick Rimando made four saves to preserve the win.
RSL now plays three of its next four matches on the road, starting on Friday night against expansion FC Cincinnati. Kickoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. MT and will be broadcast live on KMYU and streamed on the KSL TV app and KSLsports.com, with radio coverage on ESPN700.
Utah Royals FC
Royals FC kicks off the 2019 season on Saturday, playing host to the Washington Spirit, who won 2-0 over Sky Blue FC on NWSL's opening weekend last week. URFC played one final tune-up scrimmage on Monday night at America First Field and enters the 2019 season looking to improve on a 9-7-8 mark in 2018 that saw the club miss the postseason by just two points.
Saturday's match kicks off at 7 p.m. MT at Rio Tinto Stadium, with postmatch fireworks to follow in the official sendoff match for Utah's seven players heading to the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup in France.
Real Monarchs SLC
The Monarchs (2-2-2, 8 points) suffered a 5-1 loss to New Mexico United on Saturday in Albuquerque. The Monarchs got off to a 1-0 lead when Jack Blake scored his third goal of the season in the 16th minute, but then an onslaught from New Mexico saw them take a 4-1 lead into halftime. The home side added one more in the second half to stave off any attempts at a comeback from the Monarchs, who drop to 0-2-1 on the road this season. Pablo Ruiz and Tate Schmitt both started the match on loan from RSL, while David Ochoa let in more than one goal for the first time this season.
Real Monarchs return home on Saturday to face San Antonio FC at 5 p.m. MT at Zions Bank Stadium.
The U-17s had a strong opening to the prestigious Generation adidas Cup in Frisco, Texas, earning wins over NYCFC in a shootout and Lyon from France after a late goal sealed the victory and advancement to the Quarterfinal Round. In the third Group Stage match, RSL fell 1-0 to River Plate from Argentina, leaving them second in the group.
In the quarterfinals, RSL's U-17s will face Valencia from Spain at 4:30 p.m. MT with live streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/mls2.
Meanwhile the U-19s kicked off Dallas Cup in Frisco on Monday night. Luis Arriaga scored two goals, but it wasn't enough to hold off Arsenal from England in a 3-2 defeat in the opening match. RSL faces Toronto FC on Tuesday at 9 a.m. MT for the second match in the Gordon Jago Super Group featuring the top U-19 teams from around the world.
State of Sport Awards
Last Wednesday, Real Salt Lake and Utah Royals FC were honored at the 2019 Governor's State of Sport Awards. The Utah Royals FC inaugural home match was honored as the 2018 Event of the Year and RSL Owner Dell Loy Hansen was recognized as Partner of the Year for his contributions in making Utah a State of Sport. After the awards ceremony, MLS Commissioner Don Garber gave the keynote speech and Alexi Lalas hosted a panel discussion featuring Garber, Mr. Hansen, NWSL President Amanda Duffy and RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 16, 2019
- LA Galaxy to Host Golf Tournament on June 10 to Benefit LA Galaxy Foundation - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC to Host Aston Villa in International Friendly - Minnesota United FC
- Impact in Bologna for the We Love Football Tournament - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy to Celebrate Protect the Pitch Night Friday at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- This Week at Real Salt Lake - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Travels North to Take on Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday Evening - Los Angeles FC
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Avaya Stadium this Summer - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires Panama International Midfielder Omar Browne - Montreal Impact
- MLS Kicks off Fourth Annual MLS WORKS Greener Goals Week of Service - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Topples MLS Cup Champion Atlanta United 2-1
- Eight Real Salt Lake Players on 2019 MLS All-Star Ballot
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Defending MLS Cup Champion Atlanta United FC Friday at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Real Salt Lake Runs Rampant over Toronto FC in Sandy
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Toronto FC on Saturday Afternoon in Sandy