Tauros Tender Update
by Ken Oda
Minot, ND - With the NAHL Tender season kicking off at the start of November the Tauros have already signed four players for the 2021-22 season as Joe Westlund, Jared Wright, Cody Croal, and Carson Peters have all already committed to the Tauros for next season.
Westlund is the younger brother of current Tauro captain Jack Westlund and was the first player to sign with the Tauros this season. After three seasons at Alexandria High School in Minnesota he is playing his final year at Northstar Christian Academy where he already has 22 points (12g 10a) in 21 games played for their u18 team. Tauros Assistant General Manager Chris Lonke says Joe "will remind fans of his brother Jack, he plays a very strong 200 foot game at even strength and on special teams."
Like Westlund, Lonke says Wight "never takes shifts off, and plays the entire rink well." Lonke added of the Burnsville, MN, native "he is a great competitor and will have an instant impact with the Tauros." Posting 12 points in 25 games in his first year of high school hockey for St. Thomas Academy certainly shows that is a possibility. Wright followed that up with six goals and 18 assists last season for STA.
Croal plays with Westlund at Northstar Christian where he has already posted 18 goals in 21 games played. As the stats suggest the North Branch, MN, native is a "very dynamic forward that can make plays in small windows," according to Lonke. Lonke adds, "he has a very good feel for the offensive side of the game."
Last but certainly not least the Tauros inked defenseman Peters who will make his Tauro debut this weekend. In 50 high school games for Wayzata he has 17 points from the blue line. At 6'3" 192 lbs, he brings size as well. Lonke believes, "Carson's hockey ceiling is very high," because he "is a good skating defenseman who also uses his length well."
Each team starts the season with 10 tender contacts to sign players for the upcoming year. The tenders can be used to sign players or traded for current players.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from November 19, 2020
- Jets Announce Changes to Schedule, Attendance - Janesville Jets
- Bruins Announce Schedule Change Including Addition of Two-Game Set at Janesville this Weekend - Austin Bruins
- Tauros Ready to Hit the Ice Again - Minot Minotauros
- Niemo Commits to Bentley University - Lone Star Brahmas
- Mountain Powers Maryland to Win over Northeast - Maryland Black Bears
- Tauros Tender Update - Minot Minotauros
- Jackalopes Unveil Holiday Hat Trick Ticket Promotions - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bobcats Lars Rodne Commits to Niagara - Bismarck Bobcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.