Mountain Powers Maryland to Win over Northeast
The Maryland Black Bears entered its game Thursday against the Northeast Generals having lost its last four games. And thanks to two goals by newly named Captain Luke Mountain, the Black Bears were able to snap its losing streak with a 4-1 win. The win is Maryland's fourth of the season.
The game started with a bad break for the Black Bears after forward Aden Bruich appeared to give Maryland a 1-0 lead on a goal in the slot. However, the refs deemed the net to have been dislodged before the puck went in and therefore was ruled no goal. The game remained scoreless until late into the second period when Maryland forward Luke Mountain was taken down during a shorthanded breakaway and was given a penalty shot. Mountain was able to capitalize, beating Northeast goalie Hugo Haas five hole to make it 1-0 Black Bears.
Luke Mountain scored on another breakaway in the third to make it 2-0 Maryland. Mountain this time went forehand to backhand and slid it past Haas for a 2-0 lead. Then just 31 seconds after Mountain's second goal of the game, Black Bears forward Daniel Colabufo added to the lead to make it 3-0. Colabufo received a pass from teammate Garret Szydlowski and made a move to his backhand for the goal. The Generals were able to fight back into the game with a goal from forward Liam McCanney after the puck deflected off his back and in to make it 3-1. Maryland was able to hold off Northeast's comeback bid, capping the game off with a shorthanded empty net goal by forward Hunter McCoy for a 4-1 final. Black Bears goalie Michael Morelli made 35 saves in the win for Maryland.
The Black Bears and Generals will face off one more time on Friday at 7:00 PM ET at Ice World. The Game can be streamed on HockeyTV.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from November 19, 2020
- Jets Announce Changes to Schedule, Attendance - Janesville Jets
- Bruins Announce Schedule Change Including Addition of Two-Game Set at Janesville this Weekend - Austin Bruins
- Tauros Ready to Hit the Ice Again - Minot Minotauros
- Niemo Commits to Bentley University - Lone Star Brahmas
- Mountain Powers Maryland to Win over Northeast - Maryland Black Bears
- Tauros Tender Update - Minot Minotauros
- Jackalopes Unveil Holiday Hat Trick Ticket Promotions - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bobcats Lars Rodne Commits to Niagara - Bismarck Bobcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.