Suns take series opener from Mudcats, 5-2
Jacksonville, Fla. - Logan Morrison knocked in two runs and Brad Davis belted a two-run homerun while Matt Peterson tied a career high with his 29th save leading the Jacksonville Suns (69-52, 34-17) to a 5-2 victory over the Carolina Mudcats (56-64, 19-32) in front of 3,690 at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
Suns reliever Chris Leroux (5-2) pitched two and two-thirds scoreless innings with three hits and three strikeouts for the win. Mudcats starter Luis Montano (0-4) fell in defeat, giving up four runs on five hits with four walks and four strikeouts. Matt Peterson (29) saved the game with a perfect ninth, and now stands one save short of tying the franchise record of 30 set by Rick Greene in 1996.
Jacksonville opened the scoring in the first inning when Logan Morrison and Matt Dominguez singled home runs against Montano for a 2-0 score.
Florida Marlins right-hander Anibal Sanchez made a rehabilitation start for the Suns, pitching perfectly through the first three innings. After dealing a leadoff walk in the fourth inning, Shaun Cumberland belted a 3-1 pitch into the right field seats to tie the game 2-2. Sanchez struck out the next batter and left the game after 45 pitches, originally scheduled for a maximum of 50.
The Suns regained the lead in the sixth inning as Brad Davis smashed a two-out two-run homerun to left field off Montano for a 4-2 lead. Jacksonville added a fifth run in the seventh inning with a Logan Morrison double to drive in Chris de la Cruz from first base for a 5-2 final.
Jacksonville LH Graham Taylor will face Carolina LH Tom Cochran in game two of the series Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 17, 2009
- Mariners sign first round pick Dustin Ackley - Jackson Generals
- Augenstein sharp in return, BayBears roll M-Braves - Mobile BayBears
- Stars come back to beat Jaxx; snaps four-game win streak - Jackson Generals
- Smokies take opener from Lookouts, 3-2 - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars come back to stun D-Jaxx - Huntsville Stars
- Braves fall Monday night, 4-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Suns top Mudcats, 5-2 - Carolina Mudcats
- Barons continue mastery of Biscuits in opener, 3-0 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Suns take series opener from Mudcats, 5-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- M-Braves make player moves - Mississippi Braves
- Former Big Leaguer Augenstein Back with BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Vasquez Joins Suns - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- ASTA Memorial Ride to Riverwalk Stadium - Montgomery Biscuits
- SL Players of the Week - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.