Sundogs Edge Cutthroats in 3-2 Shootout Final
DENVER - AJ Gale had two goals, but the Arizona Sundogs scored in the final minute of the third period and won in a shootout, 3-2, on Tuesday night at the Denver Coliseum.
The Sundog's Jason Morgan tied the game with 57 seconds remaining in the contest - just six seconds after Arizona pulled the goaltender for the extra attacker. Jake Hauswirth and Jordan Ryd scored for Arizona in the shootout. Hauswirth was credited with the game-winning goal.
The Cutthroats have picked up points in each of their last four games. Denver finishes 5-4-2 against Arizona (22-20-4) this season and stayed unbeaten at home against them, going 3-0-2 in five games at the Denver Coliseum.
Denver (23-17-6) sits four points ahead of Rapid City for fourth place in the CHL and just three points behind Fort Worth for third in the standings.
Gale's two goals were his league leading 28th and 29th of the season and he takes over the scoring lead as well with 63 points, one-point ahead of Missouri's Sebastien Thinel (62 points).
Troy Schwab picked up assists on both of Gale's goals. Gabe Gauthier and Ben Wilson also added helpers.
Goaltender Kieran Millan made 42 saves in the loss for Denver. He made double-digit saves in each of the three periods (13-13-10) and stopped six pucks in overtime.
Arizona's Kip Brennan opened up the scoring in the game at 9:26 of the first period, but Gale responded for Denver with his own tally nearly four minutes later. Denver took a 2-1 lead at 4:55 of the second period after a shot by Schwab on the right side banked off Sundogs goaltender Adam Russo's pad to Gale, who whacked the puck into a half-empty net.
Russo made 19 saves in the win for Arizona.
Denver continues its five-game homestand this weekend with a pair of games against the Fort Worth Brahmas on Friday and Saturday. Puck drop is at 7:05 p.m. MST in both contests.
The Cutthroats continue their February home stretch this weekend when they host the Fort Worth Brahmas in a pair of games. The puck drops at 7:05 PM MST both nights and the team will hold its "Pink in the Rink" event to raise money in the fight against cancer. More information can be found at denvercutthroats.com .
1. Jake Hauswirth (ARZ)
2. AJ Gale (DEN)
3. Jason Morgan (ARZ)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2013
- Goaltender Mathieu Corbeil Reassigned to Mavericks - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Bring Smugmug to Hockey Fans - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Hire Scott Muscutt for Remainder of Season - Arizona Sundogs
- Americans Fall in a Shootout 2-1, Pick up Point on Idle Wichita - Allen Americans
- Arizona Dominates Five-Round Shootout for 3-2 Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Sundogs Edge Cutthroats in 3-2 Shootout Final - Denver Cutthroats
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster