Storm's Late Surge Leads To 63-46 Win Over Kansas City
Tampa Bay - Prechae Rodriguez's 3rd touchdown catch of the game and Chandler Williams' follow-up net recovery score broke open a sluggish game and the Tampa Bay Storm (4-3) pounced on the winless Kansas City Command, 63-46, Monday night in a nationally televised game at on the Amalie Motor Oil Field at the Tampa Bay Times Forum. The Command lost its sixth straight Arena Football League game.
Rodriguez' 48-yard reception from quarterback Stephen Wasil at 8:09 of the fourth period gave the Storm a 10-point lead but on the ensuing kickoff, Williams recovered the ball off the net in kick coverage for the score, giving Tampa Bay a solid, 49-32, margin.
Rodriguez ended with 7 catches, four of those for touchdowns. Williams also had a touchdown reception of 4 yards in the 2nd quarter.
Leading 28-25 at the end of the 3rd period, Tampa Bay opened the 4th quarter with an exciting kickoff runback for 56 yards by Chandler Williams. It was only the second KOR of the season and ws the longest. Victor Williams returned one for a score of 11 yards and the 56 yards surpassed Michael Lindsey's previous long of 39 yards versus Cleveland. Williams 2nd TD of the game gave the Storm a 35-25 lead.
Tampa broke open the game with a late 3rd period TD as Wasil connected with a wide-open Rodriguez for 23 yards. The TD, along with Juan Borgarra's 4th consecutive extra point boot gave he Storm a 28-17 lead with 3:55 left in the 3rd.
Following a lackluster first quarter, the Storm unleashed a 21-point second period with Wasil going 8 of 11 passing. More importantly, he connected twice to Prechae Rodriguez and Chandler Williams for touchdowns. Wasil's 2-yard run with 38 seconds remaining in the first half, gave the Storm a 21-10 margin.
The Tampa Bay Storm remains home as the team hosts South Division rival Orlando Predators in the 49th installment of the "War on I-4' Saturday, May 5 at 7:30 PM. The game will be broadcast by Bright House Sports Network.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from April 30, 2012
- Storm's Late Surge Leads To 63-46 Win Over Kansas City - Tampa Bay Storm
- Command Fail To Weather Storm, Fall To Tampa Bay 63-46 - Kansas City Command
- Blaze Lands Experienced AFL Linebacker - Utah Blaze
- Philadelphia Soul (6-1) Take over North East Philly - Philadelphia Soul
- Command Add Linemen Prior to Game Tonight - Kansas City Command
- Mustangs Look to Get Back on Track - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Spokane Shock Prepare for Divisional Match-Up at Utah Blaze - Spokane Shock
- Q&A with New Orleans VooDoo OL Adam Durham - New Orleans VooDoo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tampa Bay Storm Stories
- Tampa Bay Storm to Suspend Operations, Effective Immediately
- 2018 TAMPA BAY Storm Cheerleader PREP CLASS
- ALBANY AFL NAMES LES MOSS AS ASSISTANT HEAD COACH
- ALBANY AFL ANNOUNCES OPEN HOUSE EVENT AT TIMES UNION CENTER
- AFL Albany AFL Names Chris Thompson Director of Football