Command Fail To Weather Storm, Fall To Tampa Bay 63-46
TAMPA BAY, FLA - The Kansas City Command fell to the Tampa Bay Storm 63-46 Monday night in Arena Football League action in front of 7,345 fans at the Tampa Bay Times Forum and a national TV audience on NFL Network. The loss drops Kansas City to 0-6 on the season while Tampa Bay improved to 4-3.
Quarterback Matt Gutierrez threw for 229 yards and five touchdowns but also had two interceptions. Syvelle Newton led the Command receiving attack with 13 catches for 99 yards and three touchdowns. Rashad Barksdale had 7.5 tackles and averaged almost 25 yards on six kick returns and was named JLS Ironman of the Game.
Tampa Bay got 225 passing yards and five touchdowns with no interceptions from former Command QB Stephen Wasil. Prechae (pron. Pre-Shay) Rodriguez was named Russell Athletics Offensive Player of the Game with a game-high 124 yards and four touchdowns on seven catches. Chandler Williams had a receiving TD, a kick return for a score and a net recovery for a third touchdown to earn National Guard MVP honors.
The Command will next play Saturday, May 5 at 7pm against the San Antonio Talons at Sprint Center. The game will air tape delayed on KSMO TV 62 at 10:30pm Saturday. The TV broadcast will air live on Ustream.tv/KansasCityCommand. Sports Radio 810 WHB will also air the game live. The Talons are 4-3 after a thrilling 56-55 over the division-leading Chicago Rush Saturday night.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from April 30, 2012
- Storm's Late Surge Leads To 63-46 Win Over Kansas City - Tampa Bay Storm
- Command Fail To Weather Storm, Fall To Tampa Bay 63-46 - Kansas City Command
- Blaze Lands Experienced AFL Linebacker - Utah Blaze
- Philadelphia Soul (6-1) Take over North East Philly - Philadelphia Soul
- Command Add Linemen Prior to Game Tonight - Kansas City Command
- Mustangs Look to Get Back on Track - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Spokane Shock Prepare for Divisional Match-Up at Utah Blaze - Spokane Shock
- Q&A with New Orleans VooDoo OL Adam Durham - New Orleans VooDoo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.