Storm Wash out Rainmen
(HALIFAX,NS) There are some days when you just don't have it and for the Halifax Rainmen, Sunday afternoon at the Metro Centre was one of those days. Weak shooting from every area of the floor - highlighted by a miserable 65% from the foul line - lead to 113 - 90 win by the Summerside Storm.
Summerside came in losing seven of their last ten but capitalized off the poor shooting of the Rainmen who only managed 17 points - 29% from the field - in the opening quarter.
Summerside's Greg Plummer had eight of his 17 points in the quarter as they pushed the lead to 10 to close out the quarter leading 27 - 17.
The offense had little rhythm as the team continued to settle for threes despite their poor outside shooting. The Rainmen showed some signs of life in the second quarter going on a 12 - 4 run after a Goins three but still trailed by 13 at the half.
The usually consistent guard play by the Rainmen struggled in the opening half as Goins, Turner and Haywood combined to shoot 2/19.
The game was put out of reach in the third where Summerside outscored the opposition 35 - 21 as guard Chris Cayole scored 10 of his team high 19. Halifax struggled to get shots off in the third as they only attempted 15 shots in the quarter.
The two teams exchanged baskets in the fourth as Halifax outscored Summerside 28 - 24, led by Quinnel Brown's 8 points.
Recently released guard Brandon Robinson struggled in his return to Halifax going 2/14 from the field and 0/5 from three pointers for 12 points.
Halifax aired five three pointers in the game and only lead once- by four points at 10:40 in the first quarter.
With the win Summerside jumped to the top of the Atlantic division.
The Rainmen's next home game is Friday December 21 at 7pm where they will face the Storm again.
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from December 16, 2012
- Storm Wash out Rainmen - Halifax Rainmen
- Mill Rats Claim Third Straight Win - Saint John Riptide
- Storm Rebound with Big Win in Halifax - Summerside Storm
- Miracles Lose to Their 506 Rivals the Mill Rats - Moncton Miracles
- Eastlink TV Game a Big One for Storm Today - Summerside Storm
- Rainmen Sign 6'8 Shooting Guard - Halifax Rainmen
- Power Shocks London Lightning by Snapping Record Setting 11 Game Win Streak 105-101 - Mississauga Power
- Furious Rally Earns Windsor Third Straight Win - Windsor Express
Other Recent Halifax Rainmen Stories
- Players, Fans and Supporters Cheated out of Championship
- Rainmen Owner to Offer Comment and Clarification
- Tonight's Championship Game Canceled
- Rainmen Viewing Party for the Championship Game at Bubba Ray's Sports Bar
- Halifax Drops Game Six After Stunning Second Half Collapse