Stone Crabs Sink Tarpons 5-4
TAMPA, Fla. - Jake Palomaki's seventh inning double broke a late tie to help the Stone Crabs win their fifth straight game, a 5-4 victory over the Tampa Tarpons at Steinbrenner Field.
With the game tied 4-4 in the top of the seventh, Zach Rutherford dropped his third hit of the night into right. The next batter was Palomaki, who ripped an RBI double into the right field corner to give Charlotte (71-46, 34-15) a 5-4 lead.
Stone Crabs starter Tommy Romero (10-4) pitched into a seventh inning for the third time this season. He allowed four runs on six hits over six-plus frames, picking up his league-leading tenth win of the year.
Charlotte got the scoring started in the top of the third. In a scoreless game, Rutherford and Wander Franco both doubled to make it 1-0 Stone Crabs.
In the bottom of the inning, Tampa (52-63, 24-25) catcher Jason Lopez cranked a solo homer to left to tie the game 1-1.
After the Tarpons rallied for three runs in the bottom of the fourth, the Stone Crabs answered right back in the top of the fifth. Garrett Whitley led off the inning with his eighth homer of the year, a solo shot to left to make it 4-2.
After an infield single by Rutherford, Franco lined a single to the gap in left center. Tampa center fielder Esteven Florial misplayed the ball, allowing a run to score and make it 4-3. The next batter was Ronaldo Hernandez, who lined a single to right to score Franco and tie the game 4-4.
Cristopher Sanchez worked two scoreless innings in relief before Alex Valverde nailed down his third save of the year with a spotless ninth.
The Stone Crabs' win brings them to their high-water mark of the season, 25 games above five-hundred.
Charlotte will bid for a four-game sweep at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Tobias Myers (5-1, 2.71) makes the start for the Stone Crabs, opposed by Clarke Schmidt (4-4, 2.98) of the Tarpons. Coverage begins at 12:45 p.m. on the Stone Crabs Baseball Network.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Tortugas Unable to Topple Mets, 6-1 - Daytona Tortugas
- Mets Cruise Past Tortugas, 6-1 - St. Lucie Mets
- Lopez, Castillo Homer, But Charlotte Prevails, 5-4 - Tampa Tarpons
- Miranda Records First Career Multi-Homer Game - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Lakeland's Rodriguez Limits Florida, 3-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Stone Crabs Sink Tarpons 5-4 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Early Offense Leads Threshers to Win over Cardinals - Clearwater Threshers
- Marauders and Blue Jays Postponed on Saturday - Bradenton Marauders
- 90's Night at LECOM Park Ends in 7-5 Loss - Bradenton Marauders
- Blue Jays Snap Three Game Losing Streak in Bradenton - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Stone Crabs Stories
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Jeff Smith Returns to Lead Stone Crabs Coaching Staff in 2020
- Stone Crabs to Participate in Minor League Baseball's 2020 Copa de la Diversion
- Stone Crabs Complete Best Season in Franchise History
- Tommy Romero Named FSL Pitcher of the Year